Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakalfoshakal

plumie wrinkles: i dont think botox will fix this

jakalfoshakal
15 years ago

hi all:

i got my first plumie a few weeks ago and i think shes pretty happy. i water when dry, about once a week. but i noticed twice now that she gets wrinkles on the stem. am i watering wrong or am i just not listening to her?

they go away when i water but im afraid of watering too much. she was still damp when i watered today, not wet.

what are these wrinkles?

when i did a google search all i got was botox stuff ;)

just need some insight

jaci

Comments (10)

• pdg77
    15 years ago

Two possibilities:

1) Needs more water. If this is a cutting, you may need to gently pinch the stem to determine if the cutting is still firm. If it's firm (no signs of squishyness at the core), then you may want to use a garden mister to mist the tips with water, or lightly water if the soil is bone dry (especially if this plant is known to have roots, and you have it in a hot and dry environment).

2) Rotting (more likely if a cutting). If pinching the stem causes an apparent collapse of the tissue at the core, the plant is rotting, and you may have to cut into the stem to save it. If this happens, cut back any parts of the stem that are brown or discolored on the inside to where the tissue is white/green and firm (there may be some poisonous sap, so be careful). Leave the cutting for several days (in a dry environment, out of the sun) to callous over at the cut end(s). Replant the cutting in fresh media (2/3 perlite, 1/3 peat) after dipping the cut end in fungicidal rooting powder, stabilize it, and water thoroughly once and then no more until there are visible signs of growth. Make sure that the plant gets lots of heat and sun.

Either way, your plumeria should have a chance unless it's rotted down to a nub, and even then it may still be graftable (some recommend Florida Colors). Good luck!

• pdg77
    15 years ago

Oh, and since the wrinkles go away when you water, it's probably 1) rather than 2), especially if it's a rooted plant.

• jakalfoshakal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi pdg77:
    i probably wasnt too clear when i posted sorry. shes a two foot rooted plant. maybe it is too hot for her, when you say lightly water do you mean just to moisten the top of the soil?
    thanks
    jaci

• pdg77
    15 years ago

If it's well-rooted and in a hot/dry/sunny environment, it should be able to handle lots of watering. Soaking the soil every several days shouldn't be a problem for an established plant in a pot, as long as it doesn't sit in water. You can get some useful moisture gauges--including Mosser-Lee brand at Lowes--for less than $10, and they will let you know how much water is actually reaching the roots.

• pharoah
    15 years ago

Jaci,
    They appreciate A LOT of water during the intense heat of summer. Wrinkles are a sign of dehydration. I find that most people underwater for fear of causing rot. It's nearly impossible to overwater an established plumeria during the growing season providing that it is in a well draining mix.

Rot happens usually during the late fall/winter months when the Plumeria is no longer growing and the temperatures are cold. At this point, you want to cut way back on the watering, but for summer let her drink up!

I water mine every other day during the summer!

Tony

• kasiec
    15 years ago

It's amazing how an established plumeria can tell us that it's thirsty. Letting water run through several times will surely perk up the limp stems and leaves.

Hi Tony,

Welcome back!!

Kasie

• jakalfoshakal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks guys:
    that makes me feel a lot better. ill let her get her fill a little more often then, and cut back when she stops putting out new leaves. ill post pics tomorrow. shes a happy gal even though the dog tipped her over 3 times already. i moved her to a better spot, and hopefully she'll be even happier now that ill be giving more water.

it is amazing how shes "talking" i heard her yelling at me from the porch but i was a bit of a scardy cat to overwater. better safe than sorry.

thanks for the advice
    jaci

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi Tony,
    I chime in with Kasie...Welcome back, miss your chat. Got flowers blooming???
    Karen B

• mymyia
    15 years ago

It could be it's a he and you call it a she. It might be offended.

• federal_hill
    9 years ago

i know stem rot.....caused by overwatering....but what causes wrinkles on the branch.....if you cut a wrinkled branch you will see that the pulp is starting to go....a normal plumeria branch shows no pulp missing....I do not know if the work pulp applys so I am using it to make my case...I hope someone has an answer

thanks oorah