Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cranberry15

Book recommendation for Colorado?

cranberry15
11 years ago

Greetings from the Midwest! My brother is moving to Denver and I'd like to send him a decent regional gardening guide. He has some experience and enjoys veggies and flowers. I'd love to hear what you recommend for folks new to the climate out there. Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

• colokid
    11 years ago

Timber Line
    Early days stories written by a Denver news Paper writer.
    I think written in the sixties but a must read for any one.
    Stories of the mining days and such as Molly and Tabour (sp?)

• runzwithknives
    11 years ago

The Undaunted Garden by Lauren Springer. Fulcrum Publishing, Golden, CO. (1994). I believe this is still sold at the Denver botanic Gardens gift shop. But it seems to be readily available in most book stores too.

Ornamentals selection and ideas for the area.

As far as other guides, visit the Denver Botanic Gardens and also use the local Extension services in the area here: http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/

• flower_garden
    11 years ago

I love Xeriscape Colorado: The Complete Guide by Connie Lockhart Ellefson and David Winger (2004). It it is filled with tons of beautiful and inspiring pictures, and lists the many trees, shrubs, perennials, etc. by their drought tolerance.

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    11 years ago

I second Xeriscape Colorado. I also like the Colorado Gardener's Guide by John Cretti. I heard he started work on a new edition about a year ago, so it may be out now.

What a good sister you are!

Barb

• billie_ladybug
    11 years ago

Mine would include Shrubs for the Rocky Mountains by George Kelly, Rocky Mountain Vegetable Gardening by Gaugh & Gaugh ISBN 1-59186-457-7, Herb Gundell's Rocky Mountain Gardening ISBN 0-87833-781-4 and The Rocky Mountain Berry Book by Bob Krumm ISBN 1-56044-040-6

Tell him to look us up when he gets here.

B