Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margaretmontana

Snow, Snow and more snow!

margaretmontana
16 years ago

It snowed another 9 inches today and suppose to do about the same tomorrow. Lots of accidents today with icy roads and people who won't slow down. The good thing is the snow pack is above normal and that may mean less summer fires. It also will help keep the fruit trees from blooming as early, hopefully. A lot of years the trees bloom early and then we get a hard frost and lose the fruit. I am tired of shoveling!!!!

Comments (9)

• digit
    16 years ago

Coeur d'Alene had 127 inches of snow by yesterday and then a little more fell. This was a new seasonal record and nearly double normal.

Seems like when I lived right in town about 30 years ago, there was more snow to deal with. I think that might be true but with a certain amount of melting, some drifting, and days of shoveling - it's real hard to make much sense out of the landscape. I'm considering "burrowing" next.

There were winds of 35 - 40 mph with gusts near 50, today. Lots of roads in and out of communities in the Columbia Basin are closed because of drifting and white-out conditions.

I think it is now going to turn to rain except for up where you are, Margaret. And, even western MT may get rain by Sunday. Hopefully, there won't be very much.

digitS'

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

A quick reminder that sand is a good thing to spread over icy sidewalks, driveways, and so on. A 50 lb sack of 'play sand' from the hardware might save thousands on broken hips.

(the '52 left knee, head, and wrist are still sore from losing it in the driveway yesterday. I then remembered I had some sand, which improved things)

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Ouch David. :-( Got YakTrax? Excellent footware for ice. I wear mine and go for a walk up and down the icey hills.

The ONLY problem is when I switch back to my regular winter boots and think I'll have the same traction - NOT.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

We got another 3" last night, which brings this week's total to about 15". The forecast is still calling for the temps to reach 40 degrees this weekend, so the big meltdown shall soon begin.

Here are some pictures taken this morning:

View from my front door

View from my garage after shoveling this morning

Sunrise on the ridge to the south of us this a.m.

Spring is near, I can feel it in the air : )
    Bonnie

• digit
    16 years ago

Very pretty, Bonnie! The snow here is littered with tree twigs - lots of wind again today!! Your snow looks like it would do a lot of travelin' with some wind . . . .

I put some feed out for the squirrels today. Poor little things - it's warm enuf for them to climb out of their nests which are dancing about 50 feet above our heads. But, what possibly can they find to eat for all their efforts at bounding across the snow?

Sand is a good idea, David! ('course, it's heavy ;o) I like sand especially on the areas of the lawn that gets walked on along the paths in the back yard.

digitS'

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Oh Bonnie, that looks cold! We are going to drive up to Mayday this weekend in the La Plata mountains to see the snow. I've heard it's spectacular. Hopefully I'll have some good pics.

I have been feeding the birds for the same reason. The redwing blackbirds come in droves.

{{gwi:1190988}}

Cheers,
    Michelle

• digit
    16 years ago

You know what? I didn't know that CO had redwing blackbirds overwinter. Colorado!?!

It is one of those "first hints of spring" here when the boys show up on the dead cattails and begin to sing - wind whistling past and ruffling their feathers.

digitS'

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Steve, they showed up about the first week of Feb. I am only about 7 miles from the state line, so quite far south. Yes, I love the singing! Another good reason to feed them.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• stevation
    16 years ago

Well Margaret, at least it's not just Utahns that don't know how to slow down in the snow! On one of my drives to work this week, I saw five freeway slideoffs where you could clearly see the tire tracks head straight into the concrete barrier and then about 10-20 feet ahead was a smashed car. Looked like too fast lane changes on all of them.

It's really been a tough winter!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz