Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colokid

Started some more tomatoes

colokid
14 years ago

Started 8 more tomatoes today. Some hard to find ones.

Probably way too early, but I all ready have some started that are going to be a problem. Just could not help myself.

Got a little-bitty GH to put up one of these days.

Any body here in Kersey that is into tomatoes? I could share seeds or plants and could use some help in the garden.

KennyP

Comments (11)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Not too early at all. Just about right at the edge of being too late IMO.

Dan

• elkwc
    14 years ago

I started planting mine last night. Will try to finish over the next two days with the peppers last. After the last 4-5 years of real late frosts I have delayed my starting by 10-14 days. I shoot now for planting out from the 1st week of May till memorial day on tomatoes. Especially since I haven't got the greenhouse finished. Hope to have it finished by April 15th. I just don't have time to pot up more than once. And the last few years have ended up either holding plants because of cold weather, putting out in WOW's or potting up. If we have an early spring and no late frost then I will wish I had planted earlier. Also my growing season is longer than many of yours on the average. Jay

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

I'll start planting mine in mid-April, with a 1st week of June plant out target. Using a heat mat and dome, they're up in 4 days

Given that at least half the time we get a frost the first two weeks of June, it's beginning to sink in not to be in a hurry.

• digit
    14 years ago

No longer having above normal temperatures up here - - I hope I wasn't faked out by January/February temperatures.

Still "only" 29 varieties but now have 10 1/2 flats of tomatoes.

In my typical, hedge-my-bets approach to life: There is 1 cookie box of seedlings coming in late. I suppose that if we really do have a late spring, in May I can just throw the 1st batch in the compost and go with those that have now emerged. . .

Steve's digits

• xaroline
    14 years ago

I have set seeds to sprout and will be aiming for a June first week plant out if weather cooperates.
    Set pepper seeds also.
    I am sprouting on moist paper towels in south windows because the lights are full of petunias etc.
    Also winter sowed some seeds.

• jaliranchr
    14 years ago

I'm sowing today. Looks like 48 varieties, heavy on the Siberians and Russians which do well for me. The peppers have true leaves and are doing well. Great growing all!

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Mine are going out in WOWs in ~ 3 weeks, some peppers going under WOWs as well, cloches too. I like to have them a good size, as the hot weather that comes quick slows down my production (at the same time makes the peppers happy).

Dan

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

My tomatoes were wintersown about 3 weeks ago. According to previous years records, they should start sprouting gradually over the next 2 or 3 weeks. They will stay protected outside in their 2L bottles until late May, when they will get planted into the garden, or Earthbox.

Bonnie

• xaroline
    14 years ago

I have WS tomatoes also.
    The varieties that I WS were:
    Red Siberian
    Early Siberian
    Glacier
    Polar Baby
    Siberian Golden Pear

• jnfr
    14 years ago

We had that one day that turned real hot and my baby seedlings on the porch got scorched. So I'm reseeding this weekend, sadly.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    14 years ago

Well I didnÂt start "more," but I did finally get around to starting my tomatoes today! I started eight varietiesÂhave room for seven, and thatÂs pushing it! Guess IÂll just have to push it a little bit harder!

HereÂs what IÂm going with this yearÂa gold cherry, two red cherries, an orange, a yellow, and three reds. Still surfing around hoping to find the BEST yellow and orange! Maybe this will be the year!

Sungold
    Sweet Baby Girl
    Juliet
    KelloggÂs Breakfast
    Yellow Brandywine
    Mortgage Lifter
    Bloody Butcher
    Stupice

FingerÂs crossed for a good year,
    Skybird