Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Looking like the season ends in about a week for me

Well, I typically wind up ending my season in early October. This year looks to be typical in that regard. A couple weeks ago, we had some really unusually cold weather and that almost ended with frost warnings for several days in a row. But my Peppers seemed to truck right on through with out a hitch. Since, we have had beautiful growing weather but next week looks like things are changing back to normal and below normal. It has been a good season up here for growing peppers but it does have to come to an end some time. I will likely do one last harvest and pull my plants late next week. Good luck to everyone who is still enjoying good pepper growing weather. But for me, it is time to clean up and start looking towards next year.
Bruce

Comments (24)

• jtight
    9 years ago

Doesn't look good on your chart. Hopefully you'll be able to eek out an extra 2-3 days a/ get the scragglers.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I wont pull my plants until the cold does damage. Like I said, they rode out a 3-4 days stretch with mid to low 30's at night and came through just fine, but it is getting to that time of year, where it isn't likely to warm up enough again to get any real production even if they do get through the cold snap. I plan on early October so this is expected for me.
    Bruce

• User
    9 years ago

I feel your pain Bruce. We've had a killer frost already. I'm nursing a few plants that were in the garage that night and a couple that somehow survived it.

I'll be done very soon.

Bill

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

That looks like a normal summer here.

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

I think I have 2 or 3 more weeks. I harvested a fair amount today. Hopefully I'll get one more decent harvest before I shut things down. I assume you guys are already hatching plans for next year. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you already have a list started.

Tim

• jtight
    9 years ago

I hope we can squeeze another month in. ðÂÂÂ

Yes on 2015 grow list. I grew 23 diff. varities for 2014 a/ am looking to widdle that list down a/ add a few newer (diff. than 2014) ones. Hopefully seed swap will produce some of those.

Johnny

• User
    9 years ago

It's cooling down here too. Looking forward to next spring. I'm gonna hit the ground running then. Will you overwinter all of your plants? I'm going to overwinter my reaper plant and maybe a couple of more. BTW I enjoyed your blog.
    Randal

• jtight
    9 years ago

My plan is to pick one or two of each (~20plants) "keepers" a/ overwinter in garage.

Johnny

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

I'm not sure how much longer I have to go here in Northern Nevada. The thing is the low night time temps. This will be my first winter here and I'm not sure when night time temps will dip down below freezing.

We are having a cold snap here, with night temps in the mid 40s and daytime temps in the high 50s to low 60s. But it will be back up into the 80s in a few days (day time), with night temps in the low 50s.

Which makes it kind of chilly in the house right now. I have one of those stupid programmable thermostats and I can't get it to come on! Somebody programmed the heat cycle not to come on until it gets down to 55 and I can't figure out how to bypass that! My son is out of town and by the time he gets back it will have warmed up again, LOL!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love September weather and this year has been right up there with the best. But, the only downfall is that it signals Winter is just around the corner. At least in the upper midwest anyway. In about three months, I will be dragging out the seed starting equipment to start it all over again.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Lucky you Bruce.... I'll be starting seeds in about 6wks... this season will barely be over. I'm not motivated.
    Pam

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Even starting to cool down here, although our day temps will be jumping up close to 90F again this week. Enjoy it while you can!

Josh

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

LOL @ winter.

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Always a spoiler!

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

While those Floridians are dealing with sunshine and the same ole same ole...... I will be reveling in red, orange and yellow trees as far as the eye can see followed by a beautiful blanket of white that brings with it, a deafening silence. Frozen ponds, sticks, pucks and fun snowmobiling, skiing, boarding sleighing and more..... I'll take it over the same ole.....

Now I just need to grow more peppers to use during those fun filled.months.

dj

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Sit smug in the knowledge that soon they will be swallowed by giant pythons.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

you see dangerous python, I see slow moving large target.

we get a winter. though technically our average first frost date is early january, and our average last frost date... is also in january. I overwintered some plants, by leaving them outside.

but seriously though, I do love the winters up north, as I visit my grandmother's house around christmas. then I go back to where I can wear gym shorts and a tshirt 11 months out of the year.

sorry guys, after the summer of peppers getting so sunburnt that they rotted on the plants, I'm looking forward to a long and productive fall.

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

ROFLMAO!! Dennis. Thank God the snakes around here don't get much larger than five feet.... Although a baby rattler is big enough to ruin your day.... AND, not being smug, just loving life!

dj

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Your post came as I was making mine Judo... It is nice isn't it... Winter that is. damn you!!! Jk ;-)

David

This post was edited by djoy on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 0:18

• don555
    9 years ago

Still not entirely shut down in my zone 3 yet either... protected most peppers from an early killing frost on Sept. 8, haven't had a second frost yet. But temps are cooling, nights are getting longer -- 65F high today, 45 F on Thursday, it really is over.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

eportingfrom the NorthWest corner of the US of A, Seattle WA area.
    We have had a great season (not so much for peppers but overall) . As of this reporting , our highs are in mid to upper 60s. And lows high 40s to mid 50s.

But that is half the story. Our rain season has just started. So lots of rain, overcast skies, drizzles.. NO Indian summer around here like back in CT (New England eg). Our FFD is like in mid November, but heck, it is not a big help wit cool, rainy, cloud days.
    I have a few Habaneros, Bishops crown, Manzano, Thai hot that I want them to get color. I have couple of mini hoops that I can use to shelter my peppers for a while longer. I might also try to overwinter a couple of them.

So like Bruce's WI, there are no surprises here either. All is expected and normal.

I wish you all a nice retirement season. hehe

This post was edited by seysonn on Tue, Sep 30, 14 at 23:38

• jtight
    9 years ago

"retirement season," ain't no body got time for that. Sounds like it is time for you snow birds to take a month off, drink some, a/ then start seeding for 2015. Whereas 'ol Judo works on his tan a/ waterbill. :)

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Right there with ya Bruce...

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!