Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrift_in_beauty

propagating fortiniana....

Adrift-in-beauty
9 years ago

So i have this giant "sucker" comming off of my fortuniana rootstock. I would like to take a cutting to grow it before i cut it off . As you can see its very new soft growth , so when is it a good idea to take a cutting . Its not hurting the grafted on rose at all its growing fast and blooming so im in no rush to cut it off . And when i am ready do i just prune it of like any unwanted branch or what do i do. Thanks in advance

Comments (11)

• Adrift-in-beauty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here a good pic of it wheres its growing from

• gardentiller
    9 years ago

1. The picture shows the sucker of the Fortuniana is too tender for cutting yet. You can trim the tip of the sucker, it will grow some side branches from top of the main sucker. When the side branches is not easily break by the finger, then is the right time to make the main sucker and or the branches cutting by using any methods which you feel is comfortable.
    2. For the safe side, you also can use regular layering or air layering to root the sucker.
    3. Good lucks.

• Adrift-in-beauty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Never tryed air layering ill have to google it. And i thought itbwas to new and soft thanks for helping me out on that . Do i think i can trim the top now to get it to branch out or wait till it's older wood ...thanks agian

• gardentiller
    9 years ago

Yes, you can trim the tip of the sucker now, doing so can accelerate the sucker grow harder (stronger). You can also leave it to grow longer without trim it, eventually it will send out side branches and get harder.
    Go Google or library to find out the Air Layering method. It's easy to do and almost high rooting rate, it's a lot of fun too.

This post was edited by gardentiller on Fri, May 30, 14 at 23:56

• Adrift-in-beauty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When i plant this roses in the ground could i covet the part where the sucker is attached with peat moss and keep it moist for a few months ... do you think that will cause it to root.

• Adrift-in-beauty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This sucker shoot is well over three feet now . Would now be a good time to trim it down bye a third and try airlayering .

• Adrift-in-beauty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So nows a good.time to trim the lil tassel on top and that will help it harden . Lol i am tryibg ao hard to be patient . I have three other foruniana cuttings. Am trying to root

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

I think that sucker is draining the nourishment and energy from those plants therefore slowing the growth.

The proper way to remove a sucker is to snatch it off in a downward motion.

I have successfully rooted green fort suckers. In fact I have one now in a pot of water. It is still green and healthy after 3 weeks.

Veronica

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about this...

• gardentiller
    9 years ago

I went to visit a friend of mine a day after Christmas last year. She showed me the round vase with a tiny opening (about ý inch wide) and filled with 5 Fortunianas with lot of healthy roots.
    I just wondered how can she put these cuttings out of the jar?

This post was edited by gardentiller on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 23:41

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Either work them out one at a time or break the jar. Too bad...

• Adrift-in-beauty
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How did she make them root id love to try rooting in water

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction