Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

what's the deal with sweet marjoram?

digit
15 years ago

So, you thought I am just puzzled by basil? Ha! I'm mystified by most everything.

I grew sweet marjoram last year and came up with not a single use for it. The Winter dealt it a death blow, as I'd anticipated, but since I had more seeds . . .

The current crop had developed its distinctive little bud "knots" and just decided to pop a few tiny white flowers this week. So, I cut it and have it hanging to dry. (So far, I'm one step farther along than I was in o7.)

What am I going to do with this stuff?? I have never purchased marjoram for the kitchen; never identified its presence in any thing I've eaten. What is it that we can do with marjoram?

The fragrance in wonderfully sweet. Before hanging the marjoram, I pulled down the bunches of anise hyssop. Then, I crumbled the foliage and flowers of the anise hyssop into a bag for tea - Wow, sensory overload!!

digitS'

Comments (4)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Here is some info for you, Digit. (see link)

Last year, I tried to grow it in with the veggies, and it just shriveled away. This year, I tried it in a pot on the porch, and it did much better.

I've used dried marjoram many times, in the same types of dishes where you would use oregano, (beef dishes, tomato based sauces) since to me they are very similar. With the fresh marjoram, it seems just a bit more spicy tasting than oregano.

I hadn't thought of cutting mine down and drying it though, since I already have dried in the cupboard. My plan is to use it fresh for as long as it lasts, and if it still looks okay come first frost, I will pot up a clump of it for the kitchen windowsill. It's getting a bit crowded there, by the way, with two pots of basil sprouts, a pot of cilantro, and four pots of lettuce seedlings that are waiting for it to cool off before being planted out, and my enormous aloe vera plant. When fall gets here, I'll have to squeeze in room for some parsley, oregano, and the rosemary. Good thing it's a deep windowsill!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing and using marjoram

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

I agree with Bonnie - definitely can use it in anything you would put oregano in; also good in mexican dishes, and some soups and stews.

• digit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cream Of Carrot Soup - I delight in things like that during those cold days of Autumn! I wonder if sweet marjoram would go well with lamb in a stew.

The seed is cheap and it's a fairly easy herb to grow. I expect to get another crop off the plants and might be able to get them thru the Winter with the rosemary in the unheated greenhouse. Really, the plants would probably reseed themselves the way oregano & sage do but then just expire in our cold outdoors if left there (unlike o & s).

I think it is a delightful herb! I've grown rather tired of some. That may be a reflection on the simplicity of my cooking. Reading too many ingredients in a recipe cause my eyes to lose focus.

Thank you for the ideas!

digitS'

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

Digit, search the cooking forum for "marjoram" and you will come up with lots of ideas (pea soup, roasted potatoes, marinated mushrooms). There's mention of lamb shanks done "greek style" with oregano and lemon that you could probably use marjoram in instead or in addition to the oregano.