Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Dept of Agriculture CA rejection!

caflowerluver
15 years ago

I had just did a trade for rose cuttings. No package but a letter from the State of CA saying they rejected the package because of possible contamination. I have been trading rose cuttings and other plants for over 20 years and this is the first time this has ever happened.

I called and talked to the Deputy Commissioner at the local Dept. of Agriculture and she said there is no exemption for the whole state of GA. I guess CA automatically rejects any plants from GA because of nematodes and Japanese Beetles. I also just found out some restrictions apply. The cuttings must be 12" above the ground to rule out nematodes, there must be NO soil, and to make sure it is OK you must get a Sanitary Certification from your Dept of Agriculture GA. They have to come out and witness that the cuttings are 12" or higher and that there are no pests. Might or might not be a fee. Insane!

They either ship it back at the shipper's cost or destroy it. The package is being held at my post office. Who knows how long it has been sitting there. They won't release it to me. I am really ticked off.

I never mark my packages on the outside, "live plants" or "plants" because I had read on the Gardenweb about stuff like this happening. I guess my trading days are over. And I really wanted Secret Garden Musk. Oh well.

Comments (4)