Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxa44

Looking for Aloe arborescens with *yellow* flower

jxa44
21 years ago

Hi everyone --

I'm just starting my garden and am looking for some plants with *good bones*. I see Aloe arborecens all over our neighborhood -- so i know it will grow well here. But I'm looking for a source/nursery that has the aloe with yellow flower heads. Can anyone in give me a source?

Thanx.

Comments (6)

• safariofthemind
    21 years ago

You may want to check the nurseries for Aloe mutabilis, a former name now made a synonim with arborescens. Below is a link to a nice article on these plants. Good luck. RJ

Here is a link that might be useful: A Arb article

• bahia
    21 years ago

Have your local retail nursery order one for you from San Marcos Growers(wholesale) in Santa Barbara. I find that it tends to bloom earlier than the red forms, and the flowering season is not quite as long, but it is very nice. It also seems more attractive to snails, and might require baiting to keep it looking good. You might also want to try some of the hybrids with A. arborescens as one parent, most are equally large growing, but have a diverse range of flower color, some are bicolored.

• Joe_California
    21 years ago

Hi Jxa44, I've got loads of them here in my garden in Los Angeles. They are Aloe arborescens 'Lutea', originally from San Marcos Growers. They bloom a beautiful pale yellow, right on schedule every year at Thanksgiving. This year's bloom lasted almost a month. E-mail me and I can send you some pups if you like.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Joe, I'd love to have some pups! I've e-mailed you my mailing address. It seems a good time of the season to send plants (it's cool). Please pack them well, they will be forwarded to me from mailing address.

Thanx again for the offer.

• neptunespetal
    20 years ago

Hi Joe California :)

Saw your post about the aloe. I'm looking to use this plant in my landscape and was wondering if you could share a little more info. I noticed at the San Marcos Growers site that they have 2 yellow aloe arborescens, one is the 'Lutea' you speak of and the other is Yellow Torch Aloe or 'Yellow Torch'. There seems to be no difference really except that it says 'Lutea' reaches 9 ft. and the other 6-8 ft. and it seems the regular Yellow Torch has less curved foliage... hmmm.

Anyway, could you please tell me how tall and wide the ones in your garden grow? Also, how fast is the growth? Do the clumps form close to the ground? I'd greatly appreciate all info you care to share :-) I have a 6'x3' area that I'd like to have the aloe as a main foundation in...

I was also recommended an aloe striatula plant which grows to 3-5 ft. here. Anyone have experience with these?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe Striatula

• Joe_California
    20 years ago

Hi Neptune,
    Saw your post. I got them from San Marcos in 5 gallon containers 3 1/2 years ago. They were single plants at that time, about 18" across or so. Now they are clumps about 3' across and as tall. They grow upwards just like the species. And, I would consider it pretty fast growing.
    Hope that helps. Good luck with them. They're great!

Sponsored