Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stupidhotpeppers

Seedling problem or not?

StupidHotPeppers
9 years ago

I have a few hot pepper varieties, all in the Chinense Family. This all takes place in a grow tent that stays 81 degrees at night times and no lower that 70 at night time. I keep two fans inside the tent and I using a 250w CFL that is placed over a foot above the plants. They have been staying short under 2 inches for over a month now. Is this a sign that it has good light, or could it be that the light is too intense?

Comments (8)

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Can ya post a picture? I am curious what the foliage looks like. How is the color? Are they filling in and staying short?

dj

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

Are you turning the light off at night? There is such a thing as having too much light. Essentially, plants use light to make food, everyone knows that. But what many people don't realize is that, much like humans, most plants use the dark hours to repair themselves and grow. Basically they put all their energy into making food during the day, then eat that food and grow at night.

If you keep high intensity lights on them 24/7, you'll stunt their growth. Turn it off at night for a good 6-8 hours at a time and let them get a little sleep.

• StupidHotPeppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I run my lights 16/8. I had a heating pad under my plants for a few weeks Amd the indoor temp got to 84 a few times so could this be from overheated roots?

• StupidHotPeppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I forgot to add the photo

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Judging from the appearance of your seedlings, I think they are just fine. That tells me that your are doing it right.
    As far as the growth rate, I would say : be patient. You probably know that most chinense grow very slowly.
    Now wait for more expert advice and comments.

Seysonn

• newmexmike
    9 years ago

I once had a problem when my grow light was too intense. The plants were annums, but I started noticing that all of the leaves on the plant were very small--even the mature leaves were roughly the size of a quarter or maybe smaller.

But in my case the real kicker was that after a long period of time, the plants were desperately growing every direction but up. The plant started to fan outwards a little bit, and some of the leaves were clustered in so tight that they were directly overlapping other leaves.

Based on your pictures, I don't quite believe you are experiencing what is described above. Your plants still look very young, based on the number of leaves. I agree with Seysonn, sit tight and keep watching. Hope this helps!

• randy355
    9 years ago

Sometimes they like to take their time the Bhut x neyde in the front pot was started the same time as the ones in the background that are setting peppers ( September 28th). It seems that it is starting to finally start growing, there was also another DeNeyde that sat for about a month then grew a foot in a week. So if they look healthy give them time and as far as the space between leaves close is better let the stalk develop then when the plant grows it will support itself and not want to fall over or reach for the light.

You might want to try and increase light intensity with reflectors or have a look at what frert you are using and if you are using filtered water you have to replace nutrients the filters remove.

• StupidHotPeppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here a better photo of what it looks like.