Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yuliana_gw

Tomato seeds

yuliana
15 years ago

Just followed the article from this forum to save the seeds from two beautiful meaty heirloom tomatoes my mother's coworker gave me. So far so good. Got the white stuff, then filled with water, all of them fell to the bottom... washed the seeds and spread them on the coffee filters.

The problem is, most of the seeds are stuck to the filters! Am I to rip them off the filters or leave them alone???? Any advice?

Comments (8)

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Yuliana,
    Do you mean they are done drying and are stuck? Just pick them off. They should come off. If some coffee filter comes along with the seed, that's ok. It won't hurt anything. I use paper towels and sometimes they stick, but I can get them off pretty easy. If the filters pull apart, try paper towels next time.
    Remy

• yuliana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remy, yes they looked like done drying and stuck to the coffee filter. I quite possibly have not rinsed them as well as I should have. But I did ripped them all off the filters now and will try to sprout random two. We'll see what happens.

• redheadedninja
    15 years ago

I have good luck with paper plates. I write the variety on the plate and put it in a sunny place so the water dries up quick. I use a rock to keep the plate from blowing away.

• littlebutterfly
    14 years ago

how do you take seeds for a Everglade Tomato. Do you have to wash the small tiny seeds? How long does it take to dry them?

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Redheadedninja,
    It is recommended that the seeds are not placed in direct sunlight at any time during the seed saving process. I'm not sure if it because the seeds may start to sprout before dry or if it lessens their viability time.

Littlebutterfly,
    Saving Everglades tomato seed is the same as saving any other type of tomato. The link below explains how with pics.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Seed Saving

• gardener_mary
    14 years ago

If your seeds are sticking to the paper they were not fermented long enough. I like to use the method that's shown on Wintersown.com to clean tomato seeds, you do not need to grow mold and it only take about 1/2 an hour.

Good gardening, Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: wintersown.com/ cleaning tomato seeds

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I use the same method my mother used and get much better than 50% germination. I'd say closer to 90%. Toward the end of the season, take one of those damaged tomatoes, squeeze it out on a paper towel folded in half, being careful enough to just cover half(actually 1/4 after fold) of the towel(Use more than one for larger toms). Then put it on top of the fridge to dry for about 3-4 days. Then fold it in half again and stick it with your other seeds. When ready to plant just tear or cut off the part with seeds and place in a sandwich sized ziplock, put about a teaspoon of water in the bag, blow the bag up and zip tight, then place it back on the frige or counter(if warm enough) and wait for germination. When the sprouts are about 1/2"(no larger or roots will be entangled and through paper) I open the bag, carefully slide the paper with sprouts out or cut the bag, pick a sprout or two at a time and plant in pots until spring arrives. No washing seeds or waiting for fermentation or cleaning up after. If you would rather go straight to the pot or ground just tear the paper off with a couple seeds on it and plant. The paper aids in germination anyway.

• kellywinstonsalem
    14 years ago

taz: your mother's method sounds awesome. i'm going to try it. thanks for posting.

Sponsored
More Discussions