Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rafugate1

Seed storage question

Rebecca/N. IN/z6A
4 months ago

I have several packets of annual seeds (zinnia, cosmos, sunflowers & mexican sunflowers aka tithonia) and some perrenial seeds (asters & rose mallows). I bought them late last winter or early spring but never got them planted. Theyve been sitting, unopened, on a shelf in my kitchen since then. We dont have AC in the kitchen, so it gets hot in there in the summers. Where should I be storing my seeds? Im sure my current sutuation isnt ideal. I have a basement that stays about 65F yr round and theres a fridge down there. Are either one of those places better suited for seed storage? I read that native seeds need a certain amt. of fridge time (cold) to germinate.

Comment (1)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    4 months ago

The kitchen is one of the worst possible places for seed storage... not only due to heat, but to the increased humidity caused by cooking. That combination of heat & humidity is deadly to seeds. Hopefully I'm wrong, since I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings - but some of that seed may already be severely damaged or dead.

A cool location is best for seed storage. Cool basements are not a bad idea; but basements are also damp, so the humidity would need to be controlled too. Refrigerators which also contain food would have the same issue. In both cases, storing the seeds in sealed mason jars - with some desiccant enclosed for any moisture which might leak in - would provide the best conditions for seed storage. The refrigerator would be the best option. There are color-changing desiccants which are best for seed storage, since a color change tells you when the desiccant needs to be changed.

The native seeds are a separate issue. Some seeds (including many perennials & wild/native seeds) require specific conditions to break dormancy & germinate. Seed stratification is one of those methods; there are tutorials online that would be helpful.

For the annuals, I would recommend either performing a germination test before planting time (if there is enough seed to spare 10) or starting them indoors as transplants. Doing so early gives you time to get fresh seed if needed, and to avoid disappointment.

I do not recommend germination testing of perennials or natives, because of conditions mentioned above. I grow Martynia, a native of the desert Southwest. When I attempted to germinate the seeds in pots, none came up; so I dumped that soil into one of my gardens. The next Spring, I was puzzled when lots of "sunflower" seedlings appeared. It was not sunflowers, but the Martynia - and nearly every seed I had thrown away came up.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations