Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amytasgarden

Victoria Blue

amyta
18 years ago

I have never planted salvia before and recently was seduced by the beautiful color and foliage of the Victoria Blue. Can anyone tell me something about the care of this particular variety?

Comments (7)

• skrip
    18 years ago

It is very beautiful. I had mine for 2 years. The only problem is be very careful when watering, it is VERY susceptible to mildew. Water it at ground level, and if you have alot of rain, then it might get mildewy.

Thats the only reason why it is not in my garden anymore. The mildew took it over and eventually it never came back.

• shari1332
    18 years ago

I have had different results with it. Have never seen mildew even in our humid climate. It is not always long lived but it is perennial for zone 7 if not cut back in the winter and also easy to grow from seed. It blooms all summer into fall just like an annual and is often sold as one but if you give it good drainage and space it's a fine perennial. I grew one from seed that has persisted for at least 4 years now. I don't bother with deadheading until there are alot of spent spikes detracting from the over all appearance.

• amyta
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Shari. I think that answers my question. I was dismayed to see annual on the sticker but maybe I'll have your luck and it'll be a perenniel for me too!
    Amy

• mimidi
    18 years ago

I planted my first Victoria Blue this spring. I feel that it will be a prennial in my zone. The only salvia that did not come back for me this spring was Lady in Red. I will try to save seeds from this one this summer.

• karenleigh
    18 years ago

I planted Victoria Blue as an annual last year. It looked so great with my roses. Much to my delight, it came back this year!

• fuzzbuzzle
    18 years ago

I have eight of these planted, and they are doing well. This is the first time I had planted any salvia. They get almost a full day of sun - Florida sun at that! - so they seem to really need a lot of water, as not to get droopy. I'd heard salvia likes fairly dry conditions, but with my particulars, they seem to be water fiends. Maybe they won't need as much as they get more established.

• Candle_Tree
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'm growing Salvia Blue for the first time from seeds in a shoe box. Can anyone please tell me the correct way to take care of the seedlings (they are a month old and some have their first set of true leaves growing) and the right time to tranplant them in my garden. The temperature here currently is about 39 degree celcius, no rainfall. Met office says in another week's time monsoon is due. Why the base of some seedlings are drying up?

Thanks.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor