Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Great seed saving 'container'?

I'm new to seed saving, but I make the little envelopes that have been posted on GW forums before for saving my seed. I make my "envelopes" out of coffee filters. The filters are $1 for a large package, and they are breathable. I thought it might be a great way to save seeds and help them not mold from retained moisture.

I'm new, but if this seems like a good idea, please both let me know and pass the idea along. If the idea isn't good, let me know now!

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• pippi21
    13 years ago

What are you using for a pattern? Can we have a "Show and tell" demonstration? Seems like you'd waste a lot of the coffee filter, so maybe you can convince me otherwise. Are they white or the khaki colored ones or does it make a difference? With a regular piece of computer paper or even newspaper print, you are able to seal off the opening but it seems like that would be more difficult using the coffee filter taking into consideration the texture of the filter. I'm a little dense at times, show me. I'm not doubting you, but just want to understand the concept thoroughly.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

I hadn't thought about it but the cone shaped filters should be easy to label, fold over and staple. I was collecting the last of my poppy seed this morning and thinking how am I going to save these tiny little things. A conical filter might have worked just fine. The basket shaped filters I use would require at lest as much work as used computer paper.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm giving a link to the 'Show and Tell' thread.

I was initially worried about the ability of the filter to fold so that seeds don't come through the cracks, but so far it hasn't been an issue. The smallest seed I've saved is poppy seed. I know last year, just in case the fact that the filter doesn't really fold flat was a problem, I did a little "double fold" after I'd folded the opening flap of the envelope down. Basically, if you took the last photo in the link below and did a small fold at the top after the envelope was closed, kind of double fold right there, then taped it down, it was just extra security that small seeds couldn't escape. I don't know if that fold was necessary, but for some small seeds it just made me feel better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Seed Envelopes

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

I got 100 2x2 2 mil plastic bags at Fulton Paper for $1.50. They're the perfect size for seeds and at that price I don't need to bother with folding and taping -- just drying seeds on plates for a week or so before I put them in.

Now, if I could only find a good way to organize them. Right now all my seeds are sitting in a plastic bin that I need to dig through every time I want to find one. Anyone have organization ideas that aren't too complicated?

Caryl

• jfguchi
    13 years ago

I have a couple shoe boxes that I have legal size envelopes (ones from junk mail, bills, etc that go unused) labeled for each group of seeds (tomatoes, carrots, beans, annuals, perenials, etc)then insert the small envelopes of each type of seed in the appropriate main envelope.

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    13 years ago

Good idea, jfguchi. I have shoe boxes and just bought 500 legal size envelopes at BJs for the occasional check I have to mail out. Think I'll appropriate some for seeds. Thanks.

Caryl

• paulan70
    13 years ago

Ok I make my own envie as well but I just use plain copy paper. The trick is to have it a square like 2x2 or 3x3.

Ok so here is how I do it. Take the little square doesn't matter how big it is 2x2 is good for smaller seeds like petunia. Any way take the square and fold it in halfnow you have a triangle take the top part (where the two opposite ends meet) and fold it down till it almost meets the bottom , now you take one side at a time and fold it in inward I do it where the the fold meets where the "top" comes down and do the same for the other side. Now tuck one of the sides into the the side that is folded. And then tape it. Now to use the envi unfold the top and seperate it a little and then put seeds in and the close/fold it again and then tape that after you mark the envie (before adding the seeds)

Here is also the link to the post I saw about making your own envie from almost any type of paper.

Paula

Here is a link that might be useful: How to make Envies

• kilngod
    13 years ago

I dry mine like crazy (a few weeks) in Glad square containers. They fit really efficeiently on the tabel, my shelves, and restack well. (Also use those 1-2 cup margarine/sour cream/yougurt tubs.) Sometimes putting the coffee filter into the Glad container, sometimes just in coffee filters on the table.

Then for most seeds -- to sort chaff, I either shake it and blow on the pile alot, outside; or put into a heavy ziploc bag, fill with air, shake like mad, then with a long handled spoon, scoop out the seeds from under all the chaff.

Then seeds go into the 2"x3"ziplock plastic baggies from WalMart (100 for $1), with the little slip of paper I've kept with the seeds at all times through the process -- label like what goes out with my trades, seed type, color, harvest year, and my screenname.

Sponsored
More Discussions