Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbzdude

black and blue sage overwintering?

greenthumbzdude
13 years ago

hi,

Next spring i would like to buy some b&b sage for my hummingbirds. However, i really would like to keep it in the ground all year round. I've read that they come back if you keep the ground dry. Will adding sand to the soil help? If you have any other suggestions on how to do this that would be great.

Comments (5)

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Black & blue should be USDA Zone 6 hardy, but it would really help if we knew your location, since subtropical versus arid environments are very important factors for horticultural success. Do you know your microclimates? These are determined by factors like slopes, air flows, what side of the house your garden is located, especially if it is near the house, etc.

• greenthumbzdude
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well, I live really close to Allentown, PA in the Southeastern part of the state. My whole yard is on a slight angle. The garden its self is on the side of a shed with arborvite bushes behind it. So the only winds hitting it are from the West, Sout, South west, and Northwest. The area recives sun from around 10 in the morning to around 6 or 7 in the evening. Hope this helps.

• wardda
    13 years ago

They might and there is only one way to find out. You are right about keeping the crowns dry in winter. They also shouldn't be cut down in fall. Sand would probably help especially if you use it to raise the bed a bit. Tarping the plants and covering them with full leaf bags would pretty much ensure their return. I live about 15 miles east of Philadelphia and Black & Blue has been a perennial for years.

• glad2garden
    13 years ago

Wardda, what's the advantage to the plant when it's not cut down in the fall? Is it a rotting issue that is helped?

• wardda
    13 years ago

You hear that it allows water to enter the cut stems in winter. I am not entirely convinced of that argument because it is true of other half-hardy plants whose stems aren't hollow. But just because I don't know why doesn't mean it isn't true.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths