Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

Thanks To Sue, Vineyard Song & Condoleezza

lesdvs9
15 years ago

Thanks To Sue is a great rose, this one though needs to be pruned almost always on an upward facing leaflet to encourage growth that direction. Cooler months the roses will be an apricot color and warm months a peach color.

I've included a bush shot from spring because it shows the plant better and then as it looks now which it was taken in full sun. I included both a nice bloom and a fading one because I liked the sun through it. This rose has been planted in this spot for a year and a half and is 2 years old come the middle of Sept.

Vineyard Song really struggled at first. It doesn't like a lot of water and placement is important. It had a hard time in spring when I had to wash the roses off so frequently from the massive aphid infestation I had end of April and May. I planted this one in Mar this year and the foliage really suffered from too much water and really settled down started growing in July. I need to do some pruning on some runaway canes.

Condoleezza is a floribunda and I got this one in Jan and planted it in Mar. It's doing pretty good where I have it but might do even better with more sun. I really like this rose. Funny how taking pics sometimes helps me spot my current problem, rose slugs and budworms:) Daun, I think you'd like this one.

I hope you enjoy looking at these:

Thanks for looking,

Les

Comments (2)

• daun
    15 years ago

Leslie,

I really love Condolezza! How big do you think it will get? Thanks for posting more pictures.
    Just got the last of my order in the ground. They were all so tiny when I got them last December. They needed some time to get some root growth.
    What are your favorites?
    Daun

• lesdvs9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought you might like Condoleezza, this has rapidly become one of my favorites. I had my doubts at first but once she decided to grow she's taking off. I don't have her in a very good spot either. She's a floribunda, the other floribunda I have, Rainforest from Mr. Moore is 5 feet tall and wide, they said up to 4' tall on that one. Sequoia said 2-4' for Condoleezza, I'm betting for you in and I in the valley that the 4'or taller is the likelihood. They don't say so on HMF but you should know it has a pollen parent of Angel Face, the blooms on this rose are very fragrant. They'll last in a vase for several days too when you catch a single and if you take a triple bloom.

You can't ask me my favorites, I have about 70 out of 75, LOL* Yet to see I got one of their newer climbers, Irene Marie, it's a orange blend. It'll be moved to a better spot too end of Sept. I also still am in love with Sequoia Ballet, a Grandiflora but have found that rose can't take full on all day sun. I had to dig it up in the 100's when it was dieing and put it in a pot. I had to cut all the foliage off to save it and it recovered and it's sitting out front in a more sheltered area awaiting Sept for transplant there where it won't get the afternoon sun. But, it has beautiful roses too. I was determined not to loose it because I think it's going to be tough to get any of these at first. That's all brand new foliage in this pic.
    {{gwi:332676}}
    Still have my old favorites of Buttermint, that rose is 4 feet tall now, it won't win any shows with it's yellow blooms but it's always in bloom, Angel Darling and Twilight Skies.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations