Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Smoke-Free Dahlias etc for Beth

boxofrox
14 years ago

Beth,

I was thinking about you today when I was cutting dahlias for my SMIL at the retirement home. So I thought I post a few dahlia/misc photos.....

All dahlias except for 3 hydrangeas and a Gertrude Jekyl because Sally wanted dahlias this time

{{gwi:1268565}}

{{gwi:1268566}}

{{gwi:1268567}}

This lavendar dinnerplate is 10" across

{{gwi:1268568}}

{{gwi:1268569}}

{{gwi:1268570}}

Comments (9)

• bethnorcal9
    14 years ago

Wow! Thanks Boxofrox!! Those are just gorgeous! We have some fires all around the area again, but not close enough or bad enough to have any smoke or ashes over us... yet! I did notice this morning one of my dahlias that usually always blooms was blooming. It apparently fell over, and grew all over the place like a ground cover! The blooms are small and facing the ground. Waaaah!! I don't remember its name, but it's a deep plum-purple-tipped white one. It usually gets blooms about 10" across, but I'll be lucky if these blooms make half that. I hadn't even realized it had come up. This yr has been a bad one for me to get anything done in the yard. So much work (2 jobs) and doing rebuilding around the house and yard in between. I'm lucky if I can get some hand-watering done (thank heavens for the drip and sprinklers!) and get a few photos of the blooms popping up between the dead-heads! So, I really appreciate your taking the time to share your wonderful dahlias with me, and the rest of the gang here!!

I also love that rose of sharon. I have one in the back yard near the north fence. Gets way too much shade. I really need to get back into my garden....

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    14 years ago

Very nice bouquets boxofrox!

JIM

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Beautiful, boxofrox! I love dahlias but only grow one - I am scared it will turn into another obsession, and my yard (and my credit limit) is not big enough:-(

Masha

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

I'd like that lavender dinner plate please. That would really make a statement in anyone's garden. I've never considered growing dahlias in my present garden but you've whetted my appetite. I'm going to look them up to see whether they'd do well here. Now see what you've done. My credit card won't be happy either!.

Ingrid

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

My favorite Dahlia is the blazing red with the yellow sun-center. Stunning!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to you all :-)

Now masha, the room is a valid point but the credit limit.....not so much. I'm not so sure there are many flowering plants that give you more bang for the buck than dahlias. Are they for everyone, probably not but with the variety available for me they are a great addition to the landscape and definitely to the vase :-) They definitely are not roses nor are they a close second but.......

Ingrid, That dinnerplate was a gift from an elderly woman/master gardner who needed some extra money so we helped her out and she insisted on coming over a couple of times to pull weeds. It has thrived and I added a yellow one on the otherside of the lilac which provides support for the rather large blooms. I refuse to feel guilty if you find a few you can't live without ;-)

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

Lovely Dahlias, Boxofrox ! I grew them once in another garden and they were great in the garden and in the vase. I must get some more soon.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

All the pictures you have posted are quite nice. The dahlias are great, and it is almost Puyallup Fair time with all the dahlia displays, not to mention the dahlia test garden in Point Defiance Park in Tacoma. You have put a lot of work into your yard, and it looks great also. I wish I could do as well. Keep on posting.

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks rosemeadow and bustopher :-)

As a matter of reference when it comes to the dahlia display at the Puyallup fair........

This fair, the Western Washington State Fair is one of the largest in the country. To put this dahlia display that Connell's put's on in perspective and I'm going to guesstimate here, the display is probably like 30' or so from front to back (on an incline somewhat like bleachers and 60 or 70' long. The cut dahlias are arranged wall to wall with large groups of each color. It is the most amazing display of color you could ever imagine.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH