Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadeeladee

Shady tree/shrub screen

shadeeladee
13 years ago

I need ideas for screening my neighbor's unsightly and ongoing "projects" adjacent to our shady driveway and side yard. Since we are on a cul-de-sac, the neighbor's backyard faces our front sideyard (which has a contemporary /Japanese design.) Since our lot is pie-shaped our actual property is quite narrow next to the drive. However it is wide enough for a cluster/row of 3 small trees or tall shrubs(12-15' high) about 7-8 feet apart to adequately screen the area. I would prefer it to be dense enough so that it be attractive and provide some privacy even in winter so perhaps clump varieties would be good. I'm considering eastern redbuds, Pagoda dogwoods, Japanese fringe trees, serviceberries, viburnum plicatum, chokecherry, or PeeGee hydrangea. (Yews are too slow growing and small and hemlock doesn't do well here so I don't think evergreens will work here.) Ideally, they would be fairly fast growing as well as shade and wind tolerant. Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (8)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Depending on how deep the shade is, or if its high shade, many non-shade plants could grow there. What is causing the shade and how wide is "wide enough"?

tj

• shadeeladee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tj,Sorry I wasn't clearer about type of shade. Although this is not deep, dark shade; it also could not be classified as dappled or partial shade. I would call it bright open shade. The source of the shade is our neighbor's locust trees. The area gets 0 hours of direct sunlight, and perhaps 2-3 of dappled light, but has the advantage of a southwest exposure which brightens it up a bit. Having had very heavy shade in the past, I am pretty familiar with shade plants, and I feel sure the trees I mentioned would grow there, with the exception of the chokecherry which probably wouldn't be happy there. Though some non-shade plants might grow there, I don't think they would thrive in this location. If you have other ideas of trees and/or shrubs which would tolerate bright shade, survive our temperature extremes and clay, and do a good job of providing screening I'm open to other ideas.
    The area we want to screen is a strip about 25' long and varies in width from about 10' to 5' from end to end.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

OK, thanks. Personal preference would be the Serviceberry, viburnum and Pagoda and although mulch is important to all, it is especially true for the Pagoda. Even given the shade, I wouldn't rule out Chamaecyparis or Arborvitae and both have narrow enough cultivars available (although the Chams may be a bit slow growing).

Where in KS are you that hemlocks struggle? I ask because a guy on the Conifer Forum has nice looking hemlocks in KC.

tj

• shadeeladee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, tj. I appreciate your input. I'm leaning towards 3 pagodas...perhaps a white and two pinks. Do you know if the horizontal branch structure would still give some screening in winter? Perhaps I can use some leatherleafs as well to the mix. Just not a fan of Arborvitae. I've also found it to be slow growing.
    Perhaps I should say hemlocks don't thrive in KC naturally, without a lot of pampering. Why? Hemlocks prefer moist, well drained soil...KC generally has heavy clay which does not drain well. We also have frequent droughts. Hemlocks like cool temps while we have many days over 90 degrees. Hemlocks dislike our alkaline soil as well, unless we continuously add acid.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

The Pagodas are somewhat open in habit and will need close attention to moisture for their first couple years. They may be a bit wide for the narrow end of the bed. The site below is a good resource to check on trees.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: UCONN Hort Cornus alternifolia

• shadeeladee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, tj. You've been so helpful. Hmmm...Pagodas may not be the best choice. As you say, they need close attention and lots of moisture for the first few years. Here we also need to monitor drainage and ph for dogwoods to do well, and they are also prone to disease and parasites. You don't see many of them thriving here. Do you think service berries may be a more practical choice? They are native to the area and easy to grow in our conditions. Since they are clump-types they may also provide good screening. I have heard that they can be very attractive if pruned up at the bottom. Thanks again!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

I would not be without my serviceberries (notice I listed it first in my suggestions above). Nice flowers, my wife makes a great pie from the berries (if we beat the birds to them) and great fall color. They too are a bit open in winter but still worth it. Different varieties can fit the wide and narrower ends of the bed.

tj

• shadeeladee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Perfect! Decision made. Serviceberries are half price at one of the local nurseries now so I'll pick up three and go from there. I didn't realize that you could cook with the berries other than to make jam or jelly, or that there was a significant difference in varieties. Thanks for all of your great information, tj.

Sponsored