Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhensley216_gw

Best trees/shrubs for privacy screen in part shade, Charlotte, NC

hhensley216
13 years ago

We are looking for suggestions as to what to plant for a privacy screen in an area that is partially shaded. We would prefer an evergreen and something that will grow quickly but not get too tall...say 20ft or so. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

Weeping yaupon holly is doing the job fine for me. It takes a few years of careful clipping to encourage denser growth at the eyeline. My side yard is less than 10' wide in spots (Union has different zoning rules than Meck)and the yaupons give just enough screen but still let air and light through to the foundation shrubs.
    They are tolerant, even happy in areas like mine that get doubled up irrigation systems and this keeps their roots well below turf level so you can plant grass seed or sod up to within a foot of the trunks.
    Mine are planted on the eastside of the house so they're in full shade of the house during the hot afternoon sun..but don't need to be shaded.

• mom2edna
    13 years ago

we used leyland cypress. I will add a few layers of other things in front of them to soften them some.

• Donna
    13 years ago

Leyland cypress are beautiful, but they get HUGE (can be 15 feet wide and 60 feet tall), and they are bagworm magnets, at least here. They grow so fast that they'd work you to death trying to keep them pruned any smaller. Not to mention the fact that you'd need a cherry picker to do it.

If you want a conifer look, I'd suggest Arborvitae, Emerald (or Emerald Green), also called "Smargd". It is 10 to 15 feet tall, but narrow, about 3 feet, and absolutely carefree. It will grow in any light exposure from full sun to full shade (I have them in all).

You could also go with hollies. Burfordii is nice and the size you want. It has beautiful form and color, and the berries are a nice bonus. Foster Holly would be another possibility.

Some other possibilities are Banana Shrub (Michelia figo), Camellias, Gardenias (they won't like competition from other trees), Ligustrum, and Cleyera (one of my personal favorites for hedging).

• don_licuala
    13 years ago

Magnolia virginiana or M.grandiflora "Little Gem"

Cheers,
    DonL

Sponsored