Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cochiseaz8

do you grow vegies?

cochiseaz8
20 years ago

I have lurked here long enough,,,Are any of you die-hard vegegable gardeners?? I am. I like this site alot, but sometimes it seem your into regional (and rightly so) gardening, complete with cacti, gravel, ocatillo,, but few tomatoes, okra, beans, squash, ect,, which our growing region is superior in,, do I have any takers? I'd love to hear from you, darlene

Comments (11)

• ravidrabbit
    20 years ago

That almost all I grow in ymy garden. I have everything from carrots to hot hot peppers in mine. Yours?

• ankraras
    20 years ago

I like to start tomatoes from seed, lemon boy and early girl I think. A few pepper plants, lemmongrass, ginger and a few varieties of basil also. The Rosemary is always there ready for cooking, adding to the bath or just to cut and place in a bowl because it's fragrance is so nice.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• always_outside
    20 years ago

I love my veggie garden. I am using the square foot gardening technique. I have oriental snow peas, green beans, serrano pepper, jalapeno pepper, bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, chives, strawberries, yellow onions, melon, spinach, and lettuce. Can you believe all of this in an 8 x 4 raise garden? Yep! The garden is about a month old and everything is growing very well. I started most of them by seed.

• cochiseaz8
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'm so glad to hear this!! I was starting yo think I was an anomoly. I like to grow plenty of tomatoes, this yr. I have san marzano redorta, italian oxhearts, and non- acid bohemo's, italian long bean, okra, sweet peas, chard, tomatillos, chilies (3 kinds), and the usual herbs. Thats the bulk of it,, there are other things too, but waiting to see if life is possible here on the suns surface.. thanx, Darlene

• ShelbyRayMom
    20 years ago

Hi Darlene & all.
    I currently have white onions, red onions, shallots, garlic, strawberries, anahiem chillis, tomatoes, jalepeno peppers, carrots, radish, bunching onions, rosemary, chives, cilantro & broccoli growing.

DH has been working on a planting area for me that I hope to plant this weekend or next.
    Will have corn, spagetti squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe, pumpkin, green beans & watermelon in.
    Should be lots of fun.

Tammy in Sunny Surprise Arizona

• joeygirlz51
    19 years ago

We also grow veggies, even melons and peppers, lots more too. I have a question for anyone else growing veggies...does anyone else have that curly leaf on their tomatoes? We didn't have it last year, but have it this year. Any suggestions as to why it happens and how to avoid it?

Thanks all
    Joey

• dnrchick
    16 years ago

I live in Laveen, AZ and have NO LUCK with growing herbs (except Rosemary). Any help with this? I have wonderful chickens to make me luscious compost, which is always available, and have tried growing the herbs in all areas of the yard. No avail.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,
    D N

• sazlife
    16 years ago

DN,

Have you contacted the gang at the Maricopa extension office? They should have planting calendars and ideas for you. Herbs in Pahoenix probably can't take the heat and will need shade. They'll need to be set up on an irrigation system too if they're in pots.
    My sage, basil, thyme, oregano, and catnip here in Tucson are in the ground, have morning and late afternoon shade, and are set up with shrubblers and a timer. Timing is crucial too. Don't expect to get away with planting cool things like cilantro in late June.

Enjoy Today,

Andy

Here is a link that might be useful: Community Gardens of Tucson

• Christine Decker
    16 years ago

I am so. calif wine country zone8b. I am currently growing
    bush beans, cucumbers, strawberries, cantaloupe, green onions,
    sugar peas, watermelon, yellow peppers, all types of lettuce,
    spinach, beets, carrots, radishes, zucchini, early girl and better boy tomatoes . I planted most from burpee seed early in feb. and transplanted to garden. They are all doing great!
    I also grow roses !

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

DN, theres a great book by George Brookbank called Gardening in Arizona. I LOVE that book. I swear it's my bible now. I'm a newbie veggie gardener, and have been readying my garden for fall planting. (We just moved in to the house) Even still, I read that book all the time. It's a great resource.
    I'm just starting sweet potatoes now, and I plan for the fall bush beans, cantaloupe, pumpkin, winter squashs, watermelon, cucumbers. I'm sure I'm biting off more than I can chew here. (pun intended) But my family will love me for it with all the fresh veggies! I'll be doing a lot more in the spring, I'm sure.

I've got flowers in the front yard, roses, vincas, mexican bird of paradise, and oleander. There's a couple other things which I have no clue what they are, but boy are they ugly LOL. (We just moved in 6 months ago)

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

I've learned that some shade for my produce plot is very important. I am a California gardener turned New Mexican. My gardening skills have been seriously challenged since I made the move to NM! Trees also mitigate the wind factor; I live on a mesa in central NM.

This morning I began an experiment with branches from Santolina plants, to see if they will repel the beetles which kill off my squash plants. I pruned the Santolina and distributed the branches amongst the squash plants. I sure hope it works, because there is an army of grey colored beetles dong damage in the garden.

I have three Santolina planted in a large bed of strawberries. The Santolinas got rid of the beetles which used to infest the strawberries.

The marigolds seem to help repel ants. I have marigolds growing throughout my produce plot.

The flowering plants which I've had good success with here are: roses (if they get some shade), dianthus, snapdragons, hollyhock, moss roses, honeysuckle, chrysanthemums, sunflowers, Maximillian sunflowers, yarrow, hibiscus, marigolds, Texas bluebells, creeping Veronica, plumbago, salvias, cosmos, bachelor buttons, penstemons, catmint, hummingbird mint and scabiosa. (Maximillians and yarrow are invasive plants. One has to plant them where it is okay for them to spread.)

I am also growing blueberry bushes, strawberries, a couple of grape vines, asparagus, artichoke, summer squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, lima beans, bush beans, arugula, thyme, mediterranean oregano, basil, green chilies, corn, shallots, onions and garlic. I hope to do beets, chard, winter squash and kale for a fall crop. I have two young almond trees, which are doing well.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer