Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimhat_gw

Bell Peppers

KimHat
12 years ago

Ok, so I know that it is ridiculous that I am already planning my garden in December, but I hate winter and it really gives me something to look forward to. Last year was my first experience with vegetable gardening and I had mixed results. One of the biggest disappointments was my bell peppers. I planted California Wonders. They had plenty of sun, but I think it just got too hot for them. I really want to grow bell peppers as they are very expensive to buy organic and they are one of the 'dirty dozen' and I use them all of the time. Does anyone have any advice? Are there any heirlooms or even hybrid varieties that do better in very hot weather? Or should I plant them later so that they are ripening in the fall? I live in Memphis, and most of the summer has high 90's temps and even an occasional triple digit. I dont need any info on hot peppers. I barely even touched them and they produced steadily all season. Thank you!!

Comments (3)

• Donna
    12 years ago

Of all the peppers I have grown (maybe a dozen or so), I have had consistently bad luck with Cal. Wonders....

I garden in east central Mississippi, so it gets HOT here. This past summer, on a whim, really, I went to Lowe's in early July and bought two plants of Big Bertha Peppers, which was what they had that still looked good enough to actually grow. I dug in a generous amount of blood meal and bone meal, planted them in my very well dug loamy clay, mulched, watered and caged the plants. They took off! By frost in mid November, I had frozen 3 or 4 gallons of chopped RIPE bell peppers (brilliant red). Just before frost, I picked all the green ones and froze more than another gallon. They were huge peppers, absolutely perfect, and I did not spray or treat for anything. (I grow organically.)

I grew Big Bertha's three years ago and had almost as good results. They were planted just after last frost.

I plan to use this variety from now on and wait until mid summer to plant them. By that time, the early pole beans have stopped setting fruit (heat check), the early cucumbers are done (and would be eaten alive by pickle worms if they weren't), and the tomato crop is nearly done too. In other words, there's space for something different.

And, by the way, it is NOT ridiculous that you are planning now. I placed my first seed order today. Before the month is out I will have all my planting plans drawn up. Because, by mid February, it's time to start some seeds, start putting compost over the beds, and planting sugar snap peas. So, see? You're right on schedule! :)

• GreenDean7
    12 years ago

1st time gardener in north ga & found your info a great start,thanks a lot,

• jimr36
    12 years ago

I'm not sure of the exact variety of bell pepper plant that I have, but it came from a local garden center and has done very well. And that includes the tail end (couple of months) of a very hot summer and drought (Texas). It's still growing and producing peppers. It doesn't seem to mind the cold temps at all (well, for Houston that is).

Best of luck

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH