Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomboy_gw

Through the eyes of a child

Tomboy
20 years ago

The children are so lucky. I love the idea of a kidÂs garden.

Let me tell you about the most wonderful garden in the world. Of course these are childhood memories.

I just longed to jump the picket fence into that fairytale garden. I wanted to walk along those white-pebbled paths meandering through lavender and pretty coloured daises; lush green lawn, bordered by tall lupins and lilac. I wanted to discover what was around the corners that I couldnÂt see from my vantage point peering between the fence palings. I wanted to put my nose into that spicy smelling brown Boronia and drape the flowers from the wisteria trees around my head. I remember roses too  but not all in a row like you see growing in nurseries, everything was intermingled but not overgrown.

The best part was the beautiful big willow tree beside a little lake and the perfectly painted wooden bridge arched over the fishpond.

It was usually when I was dawdling my way home, up the big hill after playing on the beach. I would be so hot, and that garden looked so cool and inviting. I used to wonder if that was what heaven looked like.

I theorise about that garden a few years later was it so appealing to me because I knew I could never have it? Of course I now know that thatÂs not true I can have that garden, or at least my own creation of it. I was just like any other child... imagination sparked by a pretty garden.

I was never blessed with children (at this stage youÂre probably wondering what in heavenÂs name am I doing lurking around a kids gardening forum... just a big kid I guess, prabably never really grew up!), but if I had been blessed, I would probably have tried to create something like this. Another thing that fascinated me as a child were mazes. I never had the chance to experience one though, as where I came from there was no such thing. I only ever saw them in books or in movies. But I dreamed about playing in one even had a secret little name for them, ÂAmazing MazesÂ.

Just thought IÂd share this. Might give someone some ideas.

Best

Cathy

(aka Tomboy)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer
More Discussions