Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivid_dawn_gw

Annuals?

vivid_dawn
13 years ago

I would like to start a terrarium in a 30 gallon glass aquarium (never been used, never got around to getting it set up for fish). I went to Wal-Mart to get flowers, as I have a gift card, and wrote down all the ones I liked. Well, I get home to research them, and they all ended up being annuals!

I sort of wanted a terrarium for a "low maintenance" garden ... of course I realize I'll have to do some work. But I'm not sure I want to be digging up plants and putting in new ones every year (that would get expensive, for one thing).

Would it be possible for annuals to survive more than one year, in a terrarium, since there's no frost or cold weather? I know at least the celosia will re-seed itself, but I don't know if I'd still have to go to the bother of digging up a dead parent plant.

The list of what I want:

lobelia (little blue flowers)

alyssum (white 'carpet')

celosia ("Cockscomb")

portulaca ("Moss Rose")

Comments (3)

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    Most "annuals are exactly that it's a growth habit though you can extend the period where protected from frost eventually they will pass.
    Mostly for the average terrarium ,lowlight tropicals are best. mainly because they have no seasonal growth and tolerate year around temps. They also appreciate the usual high humidity in a terrarium.
    I have grown all that you mention but never in a terrarium . Lobelia and Alyssum will probably do best.IMO.
    Since you already have the plants might as well give them a shot?? Let us know how it works ?? I grow Coleus in mine about as close as I come to an "Annual" lol
    gary

• vivid_dawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for answering!
    I don't have the plants already - which is why I was asking. Didn't want to "waste" my money. BUT! I think I may use them anyway, just to have something in there while I do more extensive research.
    Doing a quick Google for 'low light tropical plants', they all seem to be just foliage. And most house plants seem to only have red flowers, and I prefer blue and yellow.
    I've heard African Violets do good in a terrarium, but when I looked at the color varieties, some of the kinds I would like are $20! So I'll have to wait a bit to get my "real" (long term) terrarium growing.

I'll take pictures and do updates. Just barely put the gravel in the bottom, yesterday. Monday I'll try to finish it.

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    Certainly didn't mean to be discouraging!! lol Most of the ordinary "Houseplants " are low light tropicals lol... If doing some research check out the web for "Vivariums" Orchidariums " Paludariums" ,or best of all "Dutch vivariums" these are works of art !! Some of these are nearing "greenhouse " in dimensions though lol
    These sites will give you ALL kinds of ideas on directions good luck gary