Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

What stuff are you bringing to the MTPS?

bigorangevol
17 years ago

We've got:

Iris

Daylilies

Hosta

Cannas

Bee Balm

Bananas

Crinum

Peach trees

Datura

I'll figure out the rest of this mess as it becomes apparent what I need to divide.

Comments (59)

• april_h_o April Moore
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'd love some larkspur seed if you have some to bring. I was stupid and weeded one of my two volunteers....*sigh..you'd think I would recognize the babeis by now!

Anyway, if you can spare some seed, I'll see if I can't get a few more to grow -- they disdain my flower beds but love my gravel paths. :-) So, whatever works....

--April

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

april,
    I have plenty of larkspur and I planned on giving you the flame azalia seed so you might know what to do with it......see you at the river
    Martha

• maternut
    17 years ago

I have lots of freeze dried plants.
    Norm

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Norm
    You tell me what you Need and I will find a way to bring it to you, I lost very little and am willing to share whatever I have with you........
    Love M

• atokadawn
    17 years ago

Hey M..... I sure could use some of everything too. I need shade stuff. Still need to have you over. When ya coming??????????

I have dark purple and light purple iris roots. I have just gone to Memphis and dug them up before the freeze. I will be glad to share.

• irisaddict
    17 years ago

I can bring some lenten rose for the shade. Btw, I would love some Christmas Rose, if that is what they are called.

Does anyone have some Mazus (don't think it has a more common name) picture:
    http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&mainPage=LGprodview&ItemId=43459&cid=wem000423
    to share?

Evelyn

• maternut
    17 years ago

Anyone have a request for some Triple Crown Blackberry plants? Will not dig up unless someone wants them.
    Norm

• ladybug37091
    17 years ago

Norm, I would love some blackberry plants! Are they thornless? What are you in the market for? Would you like some care free shasta daisies? Thanks for asking, Rhonda

• irisaddict
    17 years ago

Norm,
    Is that a thornless? I could bring some Wineberry http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?cPath=382
    to swap if they are.

I could also bring a thornless blackberry to swap for a thornless raspberry.

Evelyn

• juantia
    17 years ago

newbie here,Are metal coffee any use to anyone? Can we trade anything? I have some scarfs that I knit out of fun fur,black berry jam, black wallnuts,I'll try to think of more? I would love some brugs,pecan or black wallnut trees, iris,in door plants.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just a little heads-up on the info:

Plant Swap Info

What: Middle Tennessee Plant Swap

Visit our webpage at: www.midtnplantswap.com

When: Saturday May 20th. at 9:00 am CST

Where: Buffalo Canoeing, Hohenwald, TN 38462

931-796-2211 (For directions go to Buffalocanoeing.com)

Rules & Guidelines

Jan and Jim Hobbs own this campground and are nice enough to let us hold the Swaps at their place at no charge. This is also a Christian campground so no alcohol is allowed. As is the case with all parks and nature areas, we abide by the LNT (Leave No Trace) premise. All trash goes in the garbage cans or back home with you. Restrooms and showers are provided as well as concessions for ice, soft drinks, snacks and water. We do have a pot luck lunch so bring enough food to feed everyone in your group. We wont have anywhere to store food so you will need to either keep it hot or cold yourself. We donÂt need any unsafe handling procedures or anyone getting sick. Jan and Jim provide the paper products and we set up a donation jar to help them recoup that cost.

What to Bring

Plants rooted and potted in paper cups, pots, tin cans or any type container. They can also be wrapped in paper or plastic. Every size plant is acceptable from seedlings to monster mature plants, bulbs, rhizomes, seeds, bushes, shrubs, trees, vegetables, perennials, annuals, herbs, vines, succulents, water plants and houseplants. Did I miss anything? If youÂve got it, bring it! REMEMBER TO LABEL YOUR PLANTS

Non-Plants items are fine too. Flower pots; baskets; arts & crafts stuff; home made jelly, jam, preserves; canned food; gourds; birdhouses; butterfly houses; books; magazines; garden tools; garden art, fertilizer and anything that you can come up with that is garden related.

Tables to set up your swap items and chairs to sit in. If you donÂt youÂll wish you had!

Drinks- because you will get thirsty. Water is best but Cokes, tea, Kool-Aid and juice are fine. Coffee is ok if you get there early and have it in a thermos. It also wouldnÂt hurt to bring a little extra for those who rush out of the house and forget.

Food- as stated above, bring enough to feed your party. Meat, veggies, salad, fruit, breads, desert or anything that you can think of is fine.

Ice chest- to keep your cold stuff cold

Bug Spray- WeÂre talking about a campground in the woods by a river! ItÂs never really been a problem but itÂs better to be prepared than a main course.

Pen & Paper- You may want to take notes! You will also need to keep a list of who you traded with.

Tackle box, Rod & Reel- Just in case you get a chance to wet a line.

Things to Remember

This is a true swap, no money changes hands at all!

Small Children need to be watched carefully at all times!

Campground space is available as are canoes (Check with Jan for the cost)

Hohenwald has two Hotel/Motels

Large boxes can help keep your plants from getting wind-whipped in the truck bed to and from the Swap.

Join us at GardenWeb.com on the Tennessee Gardening Forum.

For more info email me at:

Jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net

Jeff Toothman

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

CORRECTION...THAT IS MAY 19TH, NOT MAY 20TH. :) Won't be any plants on the 20th...so make a note of this date.

Don't forget, no pets at the campground.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• ladybug37091
    17 years ago

Truthfully I will not know until the last second but at this point I have: shasta daisies, zebrina malva, very pretty hostas, possibly tomatoes, variegated lemon and irises if anybody wants some. As far as potluck, I am bringing smoked ribs. I am also hoping to have a seperate pot for diabetics if I can find an appropriate sauce for them. Rhonda

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

Rhonda...ribs...yum...and its nice for you to think of us diabetics!

Jan

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pardon me. This last week and a half of doing the IRS Mombo has me more screwed-up than I normally am. Thanks Jan!

• ctack2
    17 years ago

Ok, I think I've been convinced to come to my first swap this year. Like I said, I don't have anything to swap - BUT - I have way too many cuke, canteloupe, squash, blue pumpkin and gourd seeds. If I pot them up tonight, it's 4 weeks away, I would have 4 week old seedlings. I know there is a chance the gourds might not even be germinated by then, but I'm going to try. Some germinate faster than others, so I read, but not having grown them before, I have to idea.
    Is that something people would be interested in? Or would be I be wasting my time with something no one would want? I really am drawing a blank here seeing that I've never been.
    Carol B

• farmerbell
    17 years ago

I have potted over 150 shrubs, perennials and annuals for a plant sale next weekend and I am sure lots of things won't sell, so I hope to have a good selection to being to the swap. I'll post on the TN exchanges side after the sale and by then I'll know exactly what I will have. Has anyone posted a list on the exchanges side so that swaps can be pre-arranged? See you soon at the river.

Ann

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

Carol B those seedlings sound great...you go ahead and do them...and I'm glad you are going to get to come.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Norm,
    I would like some of the blackberries, I'm going to try to get some of Maw Maw's Muscadines while I'm over there this weekend.I'm bringing Iris, but I don't know the colors or there names..........Sorry guys, but these are coming from a garden that is 50 years old and Maw Maw can't keep up with it any more...so she is letting me thin over 500 plants. I will have a few unknown daylilies as well.....All my named one's are not able to divide yet, and I have found being a new daylily person that with a little reserch I can find out what they are after they bloom. Plus since most have been givin to me I don't have to pay major prices for them. I understand that most people want to known what they are but what I have found is that anything given with heart is most special. Plus a surprise next year just makes it that much sweeter. So I hope you will not be turned off by the Assorted category,
    Love M

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

YooHoo!!! Well I reckon from the looks of this thread that there are only going to be about a dozen of us there. :-)

Ok, I know that we're going to have over 100 swapaholics in attendance so where are the rest of you guys??????????

Ya'll are taking years off of my life!

• andi956
    17 years ago

WOW. This sounds great, ya'll. I'm pretty new to gardening with nothing much to swap (although I have some very average orange day lilies I could bring).

Will anyone swap for baked goods? Muffins or something? (My dad's in town that weekend, but maybe I can convince him to come. I'm in Nashville).

:-)

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

Andi the things we swap have to be garden related...even canned fruit or pickles if you did them.

• farmerbell
    17 years ago

Well...I had my plant swap this past weekend. I had about 175 pots for sale--figured I would be lucky to sell 50 and would then have plenty of stuff for the MTPS. I only had 3 pots left and could have sold more! Now I don't have very much for the swap. I am virtually out of pots, but have a few things that I could pot, but they are small, not sure anyone would want them. Is anyone bring some of the newer daylilies with "chicken fat" edges? If so, I might be willing to part with one of my 'Sparkling Burgundy' pineapple lilies.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ann I have TONS and TONS of pots!!! If you need some just holler at me and I'll bring 'em to you.

Call me: 310-4155

You should have waited until AFTER the MTPS to have the sale!!!

• lovehydrangeas
    17 years ago

Another newbie here! I have been lurking and trying to get to the swap for 3 years and this year I finally will make it! Looking forward to meeting people at the swap, camping out and trading!
    Lisalimey - I would love some chocolate mint, see if I have anything you would like to trade for.

Issol - I have tons of oak tree seedings, I'll save some if you would like them. What kind of rocks do you have? We are building stacked stone walls at our house & I'm always looking for good rocks!

Akota Dawn - Can you put my name on 1 or 2 of the bamboo windchimes if I have something you want to trade for? I'm also dying for ferns to put in our very very shady backyard.

Msbatt - I have yellow daylillies if you want them!

See you at the river! Emmy

I HAVE FOR TRADE:

Blackberry Lilly seeds
    Zinnia seeds - tall and multi colored
    Golden Rain Trees - seeds
    3 yr old Oak Tree seedling
    Bearded Iris (I don't know what colors these particular ones are - yellow or purple probably)
    Rose of Sharon (Althea) 3 yrs old volunteer plants - purple
    Yellow Daylillies
    Pennyroyal
    Bamboo plants (very tall and spreads! Not clumping version!!)
    Bamboo stakes for arbors, teepees, fences, etc.
    4 O'Clock bulbs/plants
    Lily of the Valley
    4 ft wide and tall boxwood bush (you come get it in Hendersonville)

I'M LOOKING FOR:

Any type of hosta
    Any type of shade plants
    Trilliums
    Ferns
    Bleeding Hearts
    Coral Bells (Heuchera)
    Bergenia
    Columbine
    Hydrangeas
    Some climbing vines (sun/shade)
    Mondo Grass

• ladybug37091
    17 years ago

Emmy, I have some lovely hostas. I also have you covered with all the mondo grass you want. I would love to have some bamboo. Let me know if you are interested. Rhonda

• andi956
    17 years ago

Ya'll folks with tons of stuff to share....do you root it, divide it, or is it stuff you no longer want?

I have a small house and don't have a basement so I'm not sure the best way to start stuff for next year's swap. Have been planting for 3 years, but am just now learning to *garden*.

Cheers!

• tngreenthumb
    17 years ago

andi956: A lot of the stuff you see people listing are perennials and need to be divided every so often or they choke themselves out. Others are cuttings or seedlings. Pretty much anything goes.

Got a sunny window you can spare? Or a semi protected space outside? Or check out the winter sowing forum. A lot of people start stuff that way and have WAY more than they know what to do with by swap time.

• farmerbell
    17 years ago

I finally got my act together after my plant sale and now have the following for the MTPS. (Thanks for the pots, Jeff!)

Virginia sweetspire (Itea) Henrys Garnet
    Baptisia australis small
    Blue fescue small
    Sedum
    Perennial forget-me-not
    Verbena bonariensis
    Rose campionsome reserved for April
    Black-eyed susans
    Gloriosa daisies (rudbeckia)
    Purple perilla
    Verbena SnowflurryThis is one of my all-time favorites. It is a white, perennial verbena that is virtually a non-stop blooming machine. The only time it is not in bloom for me is when the temps in the winter drop below 20 degrees. It also comes true from seed. I bought my original from Plant Delights Nursery in North Carolina. A link for a picture of it in my yard is below

I can also dig purple coneflower and hardy begonia and will also bring some seeds.

I am looking for rhubarb and a start of some of the newer daylilies those with ruffled edges and big eyes. I also like anything tropical. Does anyone want to pre-arrange a swap?

See everybody very soon!

Ann

• farmerbell
    17 years ago

This is an addendum to my previous message.

I just found some small lemon balm plants. I also have a few musa basjoo pups (hardy banana) and will only dig these if anyone is interested. I know other gardeners will probably bring some too. I will swap of one of my 'Sparkling Burgundy' pineapple lilies if anybody has a special daylily to offer.

Add to my want list: plastic pots 1 gallon and smaller.

I am sure I will find additional things I can bring and will post here.

Thanks,

Ann

• mari5us
    17 years ago

Hi Ann,
    I have Ida's Magic plus many more daylilies and I would love to set up a trade for your pineapple lily and any elephants ear, alocasia or calocasia you might want to trade. also any cannas you might have. Like you, I love the tropicals too.
    Marianne

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Marianne, I sent you an email.

Thanks, Ann

• dlhl
    16 years ago

katzswoman - I'd love some red spiderwort. This will be my first plant swap and I'm so excited to get some new things for my garden!

• dlhl
    16 years ago

I have a newbie question - probably the first of many. How big an event is this? Just wondering what time to plan to arrive to get a "good spot". Thanks for any input.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Everyone needs to be there by at least 9:00 CST. We start swapping at 10:00. Lunch is at 12:00 and our Brugmansia topic lecture/Q & A will be at 1:00. I know that a lot of you already know this but Joe and Judith rock the Brug world so be prepared to take notes and be impressed. (No pressure Zig) From 2:00 on is the free-for-all on getting rid of everything that you didn't swap anything for. Last but not least, around 3:00-4:00 everyone left usually helps clean up.

With the crowd that we ordinarily have for the Spring swap getting there early to park and set up is a major plus. I should be there at 6:00 and I reckon there are several of you that will be camping with Jan & Jim this weekend so I'll wake all of you guys up when I get there! Seriously, if you can volunteer to help then I'd sure like to see a mess of folks around 7:00! :-)

Normally we will have about 100+ for the Spring MTPS. Margin of error should be + or - 25; but I was wrong once before! :-0

I won't be online again until Friday evening so if you've got some questions that need answering between now and then please direct them to our lovely and gracious hostess, Jan Hobbs. Everybody have a great week and in five days we'll be eating lunch right now by the scenic Buffalo River with each other and have a bunch of new plants. Pretty cool huh?

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok if you are with me eating lunch at the camground in five days then you screwed-up too!!! Geez Louise! I thought today was the 14th. Somebody slap me.

BTW, THE SWAP IS ON THE 19th.; NOT THIS SATURDAY!

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Jeff, you had me wiggin' out there for a minute! I still have plants to dig! We will be there on Friday night camping. Oh, and if you come near our tent before 7 am, I might have to hurt you :).

Rebecca

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

There is no reason to get to the campground before 8 AM... we won't even have the gate open until then...so everyone relax...everything will get done on time.

I think Jeff is excited about his vacation and it just got to him :)

• katzswoman
    16 years ago

Hey Guys,
    Just wanted you all to know that after emailing Jeff a few times and Norm that I realized that I have a wedding and a birthday party that I cannot miss.........:( :( The wedding was planned far in advanced and as much as I hate to dress up, I must go. Plus if you saw the 2 year old you would understand. However I will make it to the fall swap and have already put it on my calender. Dlhl-I will see if I can send that red spiderwort with Norm if I can get to his house in the next week or so.....School starts tomorrow but my 4 year old is going to Florida next week so I'm trying to get up to Norms and Barbaras' before next
    weekend. I will miss you all, and the Plants.......but just think I will have twice as much to bring in the fall.....happy swapping.
    Martha

• dlhl
    16 years ago

Thanks katzswoman! Have fun!

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Bumping this up so maybe others will list what they are bringing on Saturday.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hope that everyone is getting their stuff potted-up! We've only got three days. It's going to be great to see all of you guys Saturday!!!

I've been pretty negligent with my swap duties this past year and I apologize. Between my accident last October, post-accident surgeries, physical rehab, trying to run my business, taking care of the yard, the house, Lavonne and two dogs has ended up being quite taxing for this old guy. I'm so far behind in every aspect of my life right now it's kind of overwhelming. Please bear with me.

We are going to have another wonderful swap in spite of me. I don't know that Lavonne and I are going to have much to bring but I don't have a lot of time to plant a bunch of new stuff anyway. We get our kicks out of just hangin' with ya'll for the day so the plants are secondary to us. For me, the swap is sort of like sitting back and watching kids unwrap presents at Christmas; it's so cool to see so many happy people having such a great time!

So if nothing else, we will be bringing a lot of love with us.

• irisaddict
    16 years ago

This will also be posted on Middle TN Swap Page
    I was waiting to dig after the "big rain" which was about 2/100ths of an inch in my yard so I couldn't dig everthing I wanted but here is the list so far....

Rose - The Fairy - 2
    Rose - Red Meidland - 2
    Tomato - Creole - 5
    Variegated Vinca Major - 1
    Lyre-leafed sage - 2
    Sweet William - 5
    Celandine Poppy - 5
    Hardy Begonia - 6
    Ginger (groundcover) - 2
    Foamflower - 5
    Lenten rose - 3
    Sensitive Fern - 2
    Sassafras (I think) seedlings - 4
    Pinetrees, 2" - 2 6-packs
    Jack-in-the-Pulpit 3" - 4
    ivy cuttings - 3 types
    dark purple canna
    short purple iris someone wanted
    probably other iris

I would like to swap for the following items that people are bringing. Is there anything on my list those of you with these items would like?
    hardy banana, toadlilies, passionflower (if not the native one), chinese foxglove, double purple datura, triple crown blackberries, variegated lemon, pennyroyal, 'sparkling burgandy pineapple, ferns,

Can't wait until Saturday!

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

Hey Jeff - it looks like I will be bringing at least two kids, so can definitely help you out with whatever you need. I see that the gate won't be open until 8 AM, so even though it is only about 60 miles (??) will probably leave out of here about 6 AM - drive slow, try not to get lost, etc. :) But wanted to let you know for sure that the offer still stands - ANYTHING you need help with, just let me know okay? That's not a for-courtesy's-sake thang, for real - ANYTHING, just holler or point and grunt or whatever :)

I'm bringing seeds... seeds... seeds... some fresh Brug cuttings (not rooted), some "peat pot pellets", I'm in debate on whether I should bring any hostas or not? They are plain jane Hostas, no variegation, not blue - just solid green shade-lovers and not a name-known cultivar... but I see them listed by several folks so I'm not sure how redundant hostas would be to bring?

I saw someone had listed Lyre-leaf Sage to bring... and I suddenly felt stupid. Is this a plant that others would like? I mean, not that I dislike the plant, not at all - but it grows wild on the five acres here and I end up cutting it with the bush hog when I'm mowing... I hadn't actually thought of cultivating it. Should I dig up some of those??? It's native here in TN, I just ASSuMEd that "everyone" had it popping up in their yards.

Hermit

• veggielover
    16 years ago

So far I have potted up,

Snow on the mountain
    Golden Tiara Hosta
    Patriot Hosta,
    Sagae Hosta,
    Only 2 Can Can red IRis? I believe that is the name without going on and looking.
    I have a Light yellow Bearded iris, and some Light purple Bearded iris's I can bring, if someone requests them.
    Monkey Grass
    Ribbon Grass
    Japanese Blood grass
    Marion Tomatoe
    Better boy Tomato
    Cannas (president)
    Canna Florence Vaughn

I Think it was Marianne last year that I had promised I would send a China Doll canna to, and I apologize for not sending that. We went up To NH for vacation after the plant swap, and I Ended up staying up there for a month due to my Mom having a stroke, which she was unable to recover from:(

IF there is anything else you see on my list that i can set aside for you just let me know :)

Im hoping for another Brugs
    A tomato plant or 2 that I dont have yet,
    Different variety of cannas,
    Any colorfull grass,
    Dahlia's
    PHLOX, gosh I would love some Phlox
    Begonias.

• veggielover
    16 years ago

So far I have potted up,

Snow on the mountain
    Golden Tiara Hosta
    Patriot Hosta,
    Sagae Hosta,
    Only 2 Can Can red IRis? I believe that is the name without going on and looking.
    I have a Light yellow Bearded iris, and some Light purple Bearded iris's I can bring, if someone requests them.
    Monkey Grass
    Ribbon Grass
    Japanese Blood grass
    Marion Tomatoe
    Better boy Tomato
    Cannas (president)
    Canna Florence Vaughn

I Think it was Marianne last year that I had promised I would send a China Doll canna to, and I apologize for not sending that. We went up To NH for vacation after the plant swap, and I Ended up staying up there for a month due to my Mom having a stroke, which she was unable to recover from:(

IF there is anything else you see on my list that i can set aside for you just let me know :)

Im hoping for another Brugs
    A tomato plant or 2 that I dont have yet,
    Different variety of cannas,
    Any colorfull grass,
    Dahlia's
    PHLOX, gosh I would love some Phlox
    Begonias.

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Final list for tomorrow:

agastache 'Golden Jubilee'
    agastache 'Honey Bee White'
    asclepias 'Ice Ballet'
    aster, prairie golden
    banana - musa basjoo
    baptisia australis
    baptisia tinctora
    blue fescue grass
    canna 'Red King Humbert'
    curly willow
    datura, double yellow
    echinacea - purple coneflower
    feverfew
    forget-me-not
    itea 'Henry's Garnet'
    lemon balm
    perilla
    rose campion
    rudbeckia - glack-eyed susan
    rudbeckia - gloriosa daisy
    salvia 'Forest Fire'
    sea oats
    sedum
    spiderwort
    verbena bonariensis
    verbena 'Snowflurry'

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dang ya'll, that may have been one of the most diverse aray of plants that we've ever had at a swap. Well done!

That 6' garlic plant I got is wicked!

Just think, a month ago everyone was freaking-out.

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

Oh don't say that Jeff - I was just commenting to a smaller local group I'm with, about the diversity at the swap... tell me it will always be that way!

Don't worry, I'll freak out again just for you in September... ;)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Let's talk about value:

I got a Daylily that I've seen going betwen $10-20 a fan and when I got home to plant it there were FIVE fans in the pot.

There turned out to be TWO garlic plants in my pot.

I got a Surprise Lily with no green showing and just a bunch of brown dead leaves on top. When I pulled the dirt out of the pot there were THREE huge healthy bulbs in there that I've seen priced between $5-12 each.

So if all I got Saturday was the Surprise Lily and the Daylily then I came home with between $65-136 worth of plants on two trades...for FREE!!! Good luck trying to pull that off at a box store or nursery.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Heavy Timber Specialists | Best of Houzz 2020!