Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
utdeedee

Share watering tips; garden updates..UT Blooms Day?

utdeedee
16 years ago

So, In this drought we're suffering here in TN, would any one like to share their tips for watering and how your gardens are fairing?

I water every couple days, have straw mulch around maters, cukes, peppers, squash, eggplant. I water only at ground level....The bugs haven't been bad for me this year. They must not like the dry weather :) My okra is blooming up a storm, so they are enjoying the hot temps....

Visited UT gardens Sat. for Blooms day, my first time. It was great. The gardens looked wonderful and there were a good amount of vendors. Bought two lavender plants and a lemon verbena(smells wonderful) Got some good ideas from the All American Vegtable Garden also. I Saw Tea Cup/Saucer bird feeders, so I had to stop by the thrift store on way home and get a couple of odd and end dainty tea cups and saucers and went home and made two and they look good in my flower beds. If you haven't been, you need to tour the gardens. Their free and open daily.

Comments (9)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I am watering my vegetable garden with soaker hoses. I cut them to the length of the rows and use a splitter to run multiple hoses at one time. I move them every 30 to 60 minutes and do this about once a week unless it rains. I have noticed that the garden soil holds moisture much better than untilled soil.

I am watering my baby trees with one gallon jugs. My dad used to drink some kind of tea that he got in 1 gallon plastic jugs. I had him save up enough to fill the bed of my truck. I spend about 3 hours per week watering the trees with the gallon jugs. I will sure be glad when I don't have to keep this up, but right now it's saving my plants. It won't be long before I have bare soil (the grass is not only dead, it's disappearing) spotted with baby trees and a garden.

I also spent all day Saturday at Bloomsday. A few of the classes were very educational. Some weren't, but overall I'm very glad I went. We also got some of the free Irises (and paid for more to get a good start on a collection).

Deedee, I wish you could have seen the UT gardens about two (?) years ago. There were about time and a half the plants that are currently there. For some reason, they've removed a lot of the beds and many trees and shrubs. They have also removed the pond, the gazebo, and the bogs. It's still a nice place to visit, but I'm not sure why they have chosen to move in some of the directions they have taken. I liked the different plants more than all the new grass.

Have you been to the UT Arboretum in Oak Ridge and to Ijams Nature Park? If you haven't, you should definitely check them out. The Arboretum has a fairly good holly collection as well as other trees and perennials. Both the Arboretum and Ijams are good places for short to moderate hikes. Oh, and I almost forgot about Racheff Gardens. It's small and closed on weekends, but it's also definitely worth a visit.

• utdeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks brandon7 for the info on the UT Arboretum, I'm not far from there. That is one visit I have on my to-do list. I was a little disappointed with the UT Gardens and like you I don't care for the ornamental grasses. I had heard about the other things that are now gone. Having worked for UT for 10 years I have never went over there for one reason or another but plan on trying to take more time for it.

We have had a couple of showers this week on my end of town so I've had a little reprieve from watering....

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

I wasn't talking about the ornamental grasses. They have removed many beds entirely and planted lawn in their place. A bunch of the tree/shrub area is now lawn and about a third to a half of the annual beds are just gone completely!

• utdeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I thought you ment the tall ornamental grasses. I was surprised by the small amount of beds there were.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Doug and I were there the whole sweltering weekend selling daylilies for the local society. I didn't get a chance to see much of the gardens, but they sure are different now. I do miss the pond and bog gardens. But, I guess we should see how the new area shapes up when it is finished. Sometimes change is good!

No comment on the watering! I have heard thunder for 5 days in a row and not a drop of rain.

Rebecca

• decolady01
    16 years ago

I'm watering the raised beds every other day. I water deeply at the base of the plants. We keep hearing thunder here too, but no rain. :-(

Becky

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Hi guys --

Don't despair at the current state of the UT gardens. The whole top of the gardens has been torn out, but it is being rebuilt. When it is finished, amongst other things the top area will be wired for electricity. Water features will be going back in, this time with the ability to give them filtration and waterfalls and such.

I personally HATE seeing things torn out like that, but the end result may end up being worth it. Have patience!

• kathy003
    16 years ago

For the most part I have ignored watering 'lawn', even though rainfall on my ridge has been a bit sparse. I have done some serious watering under mature trees that were severely stressed by the spring freeze. I notice the leaves on these trees are smaller and fewer than in previous years. My crepe myrtles are all blooming now. I did not have June bugs last month, but they are making up for lost time in July.

• utdeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Finally some good rain! The flowers and veggies are all smiles...hope everyone else got some.

Good to hear about the UT Gardens and the renovations. Excited to see the end result.

Sponsored