Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrylynn1119

When and where can you find good buys on perennials?

sherrylynn1119
14 years ago

I read in a recent gardening magazine that shops will put their perennials on sale at the end of the season once they start to droop. When does that start to happen around here? Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Where is "around here"? Many nurseries have already had sales. I bet most of the mail order places have had after-spring sales already.

• sherrylynn1119
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops! Nashville area.

• cinlo
    14 years ago

You can always frequent Lowe's. They usually have a couple of carts of clearance plants including annuals, perennials, shrubs, and trees. You just have to go and see what they might have put out. I think some better deals will be available in July when they really begin to discount their plants.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

I'm not familiar with the nurseries in Nashville, but it might not hurt to ask for discounts at smaller nurseries. I won't say where, but there's a nursery here in east TN that I frequently get good deals at, even during prime season. I'll tell the owner or manager what I'm looking for and ask them if there are any at a lesser price. They'll look around and find one with a broken twig or one that needs to be potted up soon and offer those at better prices. Usually, the plants I get are ultimately as good as the others being sold at full price. If you buy many plants, get to know the people (owners or managers) that run your area's better small nurseries. You may be surprised at the deals you can get.

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

I look for the clearance rack at any store I go in that has plants.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I really love all the plants I've gotten from Gardens of Babylon. They're more expensive, but oh so healthy. I was talking to them about sales the other day, and you can go to their Web site and sign up for their newsletter to get the heads-up.

Another little nifty secret I've discovered this year is, some perennials are sold as annuals at nurseries because they are supposedly marginal for this zone. Dusty Miller is always tagged as an annual, but I've read anecdotal reports that it's hardy to Z5. I picked up some small 4" pots of Homestead Purple Verbena for $2 apiece, and that too is perennial here I believe. You should see the growth those little plants have put on just this year. Almost scary. :)

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

The box stores tend to have their discount racks fairly soon if not already. Sometimes they just want to move out stuff to get other stuff in. At this point in the year if it's not on discount I don't buy it until fall.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Home Depot had some of their gallon perennials for $2 when I was by there today. There was nothing I needed, but the Autumn Joy sedums looked good.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting