Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Tropicalesque w/ mature traditional landscapes

OK--2 posts. I keep coming back to this forum. :-)

I like the pics some of you northern gardeners have shown of your landscaping with tropicals(+esque) But, it looks to me like you have a minimum of competition from "traditional" plantings to mar the effect. Some of us (me) have large shrubs and trees that are very much part of the yard and would be a bear to take down anyway--like hollies, azaleas, large kwanzan cherries or giant arborvitae trees in their only planting areas (front yard). How would you work around their presence and not have a weird looking outcome? That's why I have been sticking with pots on or near an under-porch patio (so far)--I don't know how to do it justice.

Comments (2)

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

try the palm for its more active :)

• debra517
    14 years ago

The Sunset gardening book 'Theme Gardens' has great suggestions on how to transition a tropical looking garden into other styles. They talk about using transition plants that would work in either type of garden to create a buffer between the tropical area and the more traditional plantings. I use large leafed hostas in my transition area-from the tropical side they blend in and they also work on the traditional side. Ferns are another great buffer. I have a pink flowered hardy magnolia, which because of its large leaves manages to look somewhat tropical. The tall evergreen tree...I just try to pretend isn't there! Although there are some evergreen trees in the Bahamas...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES