Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtleoak

Found this online...

myrtleoak
15 years ago

I know I'm not the only person secretly excited about the possibilities of a warming climate...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening in the US

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Myrtle, have you been partaking in some type of illegal substance? Let's change a couple of words in your sentence and see if it makes any difference....

"I know I'm not the only person secretly excited about the possibilities of a (nuclear war)..."

Nope, not much difference. Still some potential up sides to the plant world. Nuclear war could produce some neat mutations, but it's still not a desirable thing!

According to your article....

"Warmer temperatures help pests...and studies have shown that weeds and invasive species receive a greater boost from higher levels of carbon dioxide, a heat-trapping gas, than desirable plants do. Poison ivy becomes more toxic, ragweed dumps more pollen, and kudzu, the fast-growing vine that has swallowed whole woodlands in the South, is creeping northward."

The article also hints at the subjects of the anticipated mass extinction of many species and future swings into catastrophic floods and drought due to global warming. Many of my favorite plants don't do too well underwater or baking in the sun without water for months.

Myrtle, stop smoking that stuff before I report you to the authorities. (-:

• maternut
    15 years ago

Myrtle ten thousand years ago we had glaciers, in west tn. Now we can grow palm trees. For a old man I had rather have the palm trees, than a big chunk of ice in my back yard. Now on the other hand, I do not have a desire to melt either. Just think another fifty or hundred years, we will be growing oranges, if the kudzu leaves us alone.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

It's 27.5 degrees here at Cheapwood right now so I could stand a little Global Warming tonight!

On the other handÂLake Lanier in GA has dropped another foot in the last month or 11 million gallons per day. It has gone down 26.5 feet since December of 2004. At 38,000 acres (72 square miles) and 692 miles of shoreline, Lanier is one big lake! To put that into perspective, Lanier is 2.7 times larger than Priest Lake; 2 times the size of Center Hill; 1.7 times larger than Old Hickory and 1.4 times the size of Dale Hollow.

Lanier is about two-thirds the size of Knoxville; half the size of Chatanooga, a quarter the size of Memphis and twice the size of Murfreesboro. Imagine what it would look like if you took the entire city of Murfreesboro along with another 15 miles in diameter around it and dropped the whole thing 26.5 feet...that's how much water is gone from Lake Lanier in the last four years! This drought has totally screwed-up my fishing in Georgia!!! You canÂt put a dang boat in because at the bottom of all the ramps are another 150 feet of mud before you even see any water!

• maternut
    15 years ago

Some times my elevator does not go to the top, but this makes me wonder if they have a hole in the bottom of the lake. Maybe a little stop leak would help their problem. Sorry to get off your topic Myrtle. Wish we could reach a happy medium on this weather thing but I think it will get a lot worse before getting better.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

"...this makes me wonder if they have a hole in the bottom of the lake."

Yep, it's called Atlanta. (-;

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

That's it! The Corps told them 50 years ago that it eventually wasn't going to be big enough to supply the ATL. Thank the politicians!!!

Got down to 22 here last night; 'bout froze my butt off having a smoke.

How ya feeling Norm? Give me a call - 615-310-4155. Lavonne says "hello" and big hugs for both of ya. She turned 49 yesterday. Now we're even. :-)

Sponsored