Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_toronto

Seed germination/how long without sun?

anthony_toronto
15 years ago

Planted 144 seeds (two 72 cell trays) on Wednesday night. No signs of germination until morning of day 4, and by the end of day 4 more than 80 were emerging/emerged from the potting mix. Pretty fast germination compared to prior years.

Wondering how long I can leave these in the basement (i.e. for seedlings, how many days can they be without sun).

Also wondering how long I can leave the dome over the seedlings once I put it in the sun (will the moisture be too much for the seedlings?)

Finally, wondering how long I should wait before ignoring ungerminated seedlings, i.e. is there a formula to follow re. germination/days since seeding? Many of those that have germinated are the same variety, whereas several seed varieties have had 0 seeds germinate so far.

Always interesting to see what grows and what doesnt...

Comments (6)

• Bets
    15 years ago

They need light, first thing in the morning, then about 14 - 16 a day. The other seeds will either germinate within a few days or they won't. I have had a seed germinate as much as two weeks behind it's seed mates. (After I had transplanted a single seedling into a growing cell, another would sprout, in with the older one.)

I know it isn't easy, at least it isn't easy for me, but be patient. Keep the starting medium moist, but not over wet as you don't want to drown anything.

Bets

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

If you can see the seedling, then it needs to be in the light. As Bets said, the seeds will continue to germinate, but the emerged seedling will keep reaching up to try to find enough light. I plant in individual soil blocks or pots so that I can remove the seedling as soon as germination occurs and get it under light. I NEVER use a dome cover on seedlings, and in the sun they would fry quickly in an enclosed container. The purpose of the dome is to control the moisture and temperature for germination. Also, a new seedling wants light, but cannot be put in the strong sunlight outside right away.

• anney
    15 years ago

soonergrandmom

FWIW, I DO put my just-germinated seedlings directly outside on the deck when the temps are 55 or higher, have been doing it for years. I don't have room under my lights for the larger containers they go in, so out they go on balmy days in either direct or indirect sunlight. (Even indirect sunlight is much brighter than artificial light.) As the true leaves develop, they immediately produce the tougher cuticles and shorter cell tissue structures that hardening off plants accomplishes.

The seedlings are safe, don't have to be hardened off, if they have developed ONLY the cotyledons when you first put them outside. If they've developed one or more sets of true leaves under artificial lights before you do this, then they must be hardened off to allow the physiological changes to occur that are needed for plants to thrive in the natural elements.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Cover off and under the light or to the sun just as soon as they sprout. No cover once sprouted. The rest of the seeds will come along or not.

Dave

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

About 1-3 days after the seedlings break through the soil (usually when first set of leaves has been fully opened for at least half a day or so), I put them in sunlight.

• anthony_toronto
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all, will remove cover when I go home tonight and get them in the sun starting tomorrow morning. Will keep cells moist enough to accomodate seedlings and to encourage ungerminated seeds to do so. Looked like there were about 100 up as of this morning, but certain varieties are still at 0 up, so I do want to try to get those to germinate at least a few.