Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Best Mango

simon_grow
14 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm tring to decide on the best mango variety to plant in San Diego, CA. It has a special micro climate and is considered zone 10, some say 9. My front yard has some space for a medium sized mango tree but I'm trying to narrow down which variety I want. I haven't tasted many of the mango varieties from PIN's list, but I have tried Kent and it is currently my favorite mango.

I went through many of the old threads trying to see what everone's opinions were on each cultivar and I know its a matter of personal preference but considering that I really like the Kent, please suggest a variety that you think I might like. I really want to plant an Edward but I'm afraid it won't produce here or I might have to wait many years for it to produce. I saw a new variety out called "Tebow" and was wondering if anyone has tasted this variety, maybe at a festival or something?

I only have enough room for one Mango tree and in order of preference, here is what I am considering:

Tebow, Edward, Kent, Gold Nugget, Alphonso, Nam Doc Mai. I know most my choices are listed as being large trees but I hope to keep it pruned to 20ft tall and 20ft wide. Is this possible? Thanks in advance!

Comments (22)

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

yes its possible to pretty much keep any mango tree at that dimension, Kent will grow considerably larger if you let it.

what varieties have you tried? i much prefer the indochinese types.

because you live in dry San Diego i would suggest a Manilla type like Carabao. we get "Champagne" mangos in the markets here from Mexico and they are excellent. the variety is not common here because they dont produce as well with our rainy seasons (from what i was told) but you may be able to find it over there.

if you want an indian type i would not suggest Kent, too large of a tree and there are better mangos IMO. Carrie would be my first choice.

• squam256
    14 years ago

I agree with Harry on Gold Nugget.....tried it last year and was less than impressed. I would eat Nam Doc Mai before that, and I'm not a huge Nam Doc Mai fan either (I'm kinda the opposite of Kush when it comes to the Indian/indochinese mango debate) .

Edward is a very fine mango and is my favorite. That is probably what I would plant from your list. My experience with it is the opposite of Harry's though....here in Jupiter, FL the Edward trees are poor producers, but they do produce consistently (every year). Kent is nice also but Kent trees where I live are heavily susceptible to anthracnose, though that might not be an issue for you in dry climate. Might have to prune a Kent a little more aggressively as well because I've seen them get really tall. I am excited about Tebow but personally wouldn't plant something I've never tried if I have very limited space and was only planting one tree.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

Gold Nugget is a late season mango, its pretty average taste wise but that late in season theres not much to choose from.

i bet Glenn would give nice fruit in a dry climate, Edward is a nice compromise of indian/asian varieties if you have only room for one tree. either at full height would be around the dimension you are looking for.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

Glenn are easy to find in so cal. Laverne nursery has them and I bet you can get them from any big box store that carries laverne.

I have one. I want an edward also and heard they do pretty well in CA.

• squam256
    14 years ago

I think Glenn would be a good choice also, especially if you are looking to maximize the production of the tree for the size......Glenn is very productive from what I've seen, and the watery taste it sometimes develops in excessive rain wouldn't be an issue in dry climate. I like the flavor of Glenn a lot actually.....not as good as Edward or Kent but still pretty decent. Another "plus" (well, for some people) is that Glenn fruit is on the small side. Won't get so huge that you can't eat it in one sitting, which happens to some medium -sized varieties sometimes.

• ajaysr5
    14 years ago

Simon grow,I am in the same boat as you are I have the same micro climate and also considered as Zone 10.I have Manila Mango(Home depot),2 Carrie mango,Nam doc Mai,And Ice cream and have no trouble growing manfo trees.Here is my carrie on the ground with this years bloom,All my plants has been outdoor with no problem at all.I tasted some fruit from last year and Carrie has good taste.

Blooming.....(pictures from 4 weeks ago)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Ajay, your tree looks great. Congrats on the blooms!!

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

those concrete walls you have around your property really help, absorbing the sun during the day and cuts the wind down at night. thats the most important part of cold protection in your area.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

if you only have room for one tree i wouldnt get Alphonso because it is not a known producer here, however if you are feeling adventurous i bet your drier climate would make it feel more at home.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mango Kush- I have only tried Kent, Thompson, Julie, Champaigne and a few others I can't rember right now. All the varieties I have tried are from the supermarkets and I get the name on the side of the box where they have a list of the different varieties but I don't think I can really trust the box label because many supermarkets label their mangoes as "Kent" even when its not, just to get a sale.

Harry, that is a good idea but won't their roots compete and the trees stunt each others growths? I read in a post somewhere where someone was growing an Edward, I believe in California and it has yet to fruit after 5 years! I really want to plant an Edward but I also want lots of fruit to share with my friends and family. If only Tebow lives up to the hype, that will make my decision much easier.

Squam256- Thanks for your input, I'm really leaning towards getting an Edward. It is really dry here in San Diego and hopefully I won't have fungal issues.

Tammysf- Maybe you should get an Edward's also and we can determine how well they grow in different areas!

ajaysr5- thanks for the pictures, I've heard lots of good things about Carry but also some bad too. I'm glad you like it because that was originally on my top 5 list.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

I may hold off on the edward. Just made husband plant 9 fruit trees yesterday (plums, pluots, persimmon, peaches) and in a few weeks will plant the 4 mangos I have now inground.

If the icecream or carrie dies I will for sure get an edward ;)

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Simon Grow:

No, the roots will be fine in the same hole. Plenty of earth to spread out in. The canopy of each tree will shade out half of the other tree. But that is OK, the opther half will fruit.

Harry

• jim111_grow
    13 years ago

I also live in San Diego and want to add another mango to my yard. Does anyone know who sells the various types of mangos discussed here? About all I have been able to find is the Manila.

Would also appreciate input if anyone knows a particular mango that is less suseptable to wind blowing flowers off. I will be planting this new mango on the side of a canyon, where a Pinkerton Avocado that I have there has a lot of trouble with wind blowing flowers off.

I currently have a mango tree in my back yard. It was a Keith that my yard guys accidently cut down almost to the ground after it had grown about four feet tall. The root stock sprouted leaves and I now get lots of small, yellow fruit that is sugar-sweet --- have no idea what it is.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

wow, old thread

Ongs nursery is in San Diego.

• jim111_grow
    13 years ago

I bought a 15 gallon (Kona) Sharwil from Atkins Nursery in Fallbrook (CA), They now have two 15 gallon and a number of 5 gallon Sharwils left. They said they do not ship 5/15 gallon trees because of the weight and the Avocado is too sensitive to do bare root shipments. They seemed to be nice people to deal with and they give a 1-year warranty on their trees.

I do have one concern. Most of the other 15 gallon Avocados were bearing fruit while the Sharwils were not. The Sharwils have flowers that had dried up and are crumbling. Does anyone know anything about that? I would like to know if that indicates that there will be a problem with the flowers in the future; I would like to know the answer to that before I plant the tree.

I want to do a little more investigating of Mangos before deciding which one I want and going to visit Ong Nursery. Thanks for letting me know about Ong.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Pine Island is the best deal going in mango trees. they are $25 but they charge alot for shipping to CA

in reality to ship it in a 3 foot triangle tube is around $20

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

lol-Well,in California you wont have to worry about them going far over 20'! Its going to be quite awhile before one gets that size in the best microclimate.
    Its seems to me it comes down to two realistic choices-Any of the small "condo" types like Manila,Ataulfo,Champagne. And Keitt or Haden..with the other types having supporters of course,but the ones named seem to be mentioned as best for California. But hey,I'm open to success storys of other cultivars!.
    btw,Baileys Marvel lives up to the hardiness...but now at a size that Manila flowers and fruits...B.M. still all foliage.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i would try a glenn, nam doc mai and carrie

• dbuddboca2
    6 years ago

I just bought a 15 gallon sweet tart mango tree that has a lot of fruits on it.

I want to plant it in the yard but am wondering if by translanting all the fruits will be aborted.

Should I just wait and see if I get any fruits from the tree in the pot before transplanting

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    6 years ago

I would plant. If,you are part of the country that plants and then lets rains take the rest,then I would keep it the pot. But,if you plant in ground and make sure it's always well hydrated..plant away.

• fruittreeaholic
    3 years ago

Where can I get sweet tart And fruit punch mango in Orange County/Southern California?

How does Kono Sharill avocado do in Southern California? Where can I get it?