Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Savagely pruning Breadfruit

tropicbreezent
10 years ago

My Breadfruit tree grew well but stayed long and spindly, more like a bamboo stem. I'd been thinking that if it was cut back it should put out more side branches. They are grown from root cuttings so it seemed reasonable they'd be able to take any amount of cutting back, even right to the root system.

Finally carried out the deed during very wet weather. The stump left in the ground was about head height, the top is laying on the ground to the right in the photo.

The cut was coated with grafting paint as insurance against rot setting in.

About 3 weeks later new shoots began to appear on the trunk.

About 3 weeks again multiple shoots were coming out.

These seemed to speed up over the following week.

Another 5 weeks and this is where it is today, around 11 - 12 weeks after the pruning.

There's about 3 very vigorous shoots now, and some of the smaller ones seem to have become static. I guess they're being overshadowed by the others and will finally wilt away. I'm going to try and spread the 3 main ones out so they branch wide of each other. Don't want them to race to be come the leader in a do or die struggle, otherwise I'll be back to square one. So far so good.

Comments (19)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

I hate when my Breadfruit tree gets straggly-wink. I was watching HGTV about finding a home in PR. In one back yard was a pair of deep green Breadfruit trees. They have a sculptural type of trunk and branching pattern. Every leaf looked perfect. Being in full sun surrounded by thick turf. Looked great.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the look of them. Mine had huge leaves, over 75 centimetres long. Then the irrigation failed and it dropped all it's leaves. I was worried it was a goner but it recovered although the leaves were smaller. Still grew tall and spindly. I'm hoping now that it's shorter it'll branch out and get the huge leaves again. Getting fruit would be a real bonus, I like it, but you can't get it in any of the shops I know.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

NICE!! I think your tree will look SO much better in several months...I 've done that (pugged) my mango trees before, sometimes little to no leaves left like yours...I've had "freeze damage" force me to it and other times its for size management and it came back looking better than before in a few months :o)

Here's an example of one of my freeze damage mango...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Here it is 5 months later...very happy with the way it survived the freeze and came back looking great :o)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a great recovery for just 5 months. The tree's looking very healthy.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Tropic! Here's the tree taken in March...I have about 20 teeny tiny fruits on there...hoping some of them will make it to maturity :o)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That tree should be able to handle 20 fruit. When they get hundreds of small fruits they drop most of them. Normally here mangos are irrigated until they're 80% flowered. After that the irrigation is shut off. Because it's dry that time of year they're without water almost until fruit maturity. Too much water as the fruit's developing can cause a lot of fruit drop, or splits in mature fruit.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Oh...I agree with you that my tree can handle 20 fruits easily...what I meant was out of the 20 fruits that's there now I'm sure I'm going to lose some of them due to weather, rain, wind and just part of the normal fruit drop.
    The reason why my tree doesn't have that many fruits is Unfortunately, only 1/3 of the tree bloomed...the other 2/3 flushed new growths...this tree should have at least a couple of hundred fruits on it (pea size) had it the whole tree bloomed... but the rest of the tree didn't stick to the blooming cycle lol...Se la vie!!

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    9 years ago

Beautiful! What a way to control that monster!!

We had a huge Soursop / Guanabana / Breadfruit tree in my backyard in the Caribbean. The only pruning we ever did was of the branches that rubbed too close to our prized avocado trees. Otherwise, we harvested the fruit from the roof of the hours, using a harvesting basket on an extender.

For those who are not aware, the leaves are medicinal, particularly for stomach maladies, including nausea. I used it and it alleviated pain caused by Camphylobacter / H. Pylori before I knew what it was. Of course that needs to be treated by an MD & triple antibiotics, but the tea helped significantly.

To make a tea, take 3 new (shiny) leaves, wash and place in a kettle containing 2 cup of water you've already boiled. Allow to steep 15-20 minutes.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is amazing the different remedies we have growing in the garden.

This is the latest photo of the shoots tied down. The 2 largest are now almost parallel to the ground. I left the third, much smaller, to let it grow a bit more first.

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Nice growth!!

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. 3 main branches out of the trunk should be enough. The first 2 are growing so vigorously I hope they don't overshadow the 3rd one and have it wilt. There's still about 2 really small ones but unlikely to come to anything. I'm hoping in the next month or 2 to get the huge trees overshadowing the Breadfruit removed. That's what caused the tree to get so spindly in the first place.

• sapote
    9 years ago

tropicbree -- it's hard to see from the photos but it seems there are many tall trees around and shade off the light to the breadfruit, hence it tried to race up tall to the light. If this is correct then all branches eventually will want to race up.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's right Sapote. Behind me taking the photo are some African Mahoganys about 30 metres tall with a spreading crown. They're the trees I'll be removing. They also have very invasive roots, so with them gone the Breadfruit should do a lot better.

• mangodog
    9 years ago

TropicBreezent - just to let you know. The term "pug" as in: "to cut a tree way back", was coined after puglvr had to do some major surgery on that frost-damaged mango tree she showed you in the picture above.

Because of that, all of us in this forum and in another one, have now recognized her terminological contribution to the plant kingdom..... So instead of searching for words like "savagely pruned" you can now say "pugged" and we'll all know exactly what you mean!

):

Myamberwoofie

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Lol...Thanks Mangodog! :o)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, live and learn! I knew pug as a type of dog. Also in reading I've seen references to a "pug of tobacco" (I think that related to chewing tobacco). Thanks for the edification.

• sapote
    9 years ago

Thanks Mangodog -- I was wondering why "pug" the mango.

• Carlincooling
    9 years ago

Tropic, how are you breadfruit trees doing now?
    Pics please....lol

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH