Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

hawaiian papayas in FL?

irun5k
12 years ago

Good morning all,

How will a Sunrise or "Strawberry" papaya do in Florida?

All the local nurseries appear to only carry the Red Lady variety. I do not like these nor do I care for any of the ones typically found for sale in the supermarket.

If you've had Sunrise you know they taste (and look) almost like a different fruit altogether. I am assuming there must be some roadblocks to growing them here but I was hoping someone could give me the scoop.

Thanks

Brian

Comments (9)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

all papayas should do fine in southern FL, as long as yall don't get a repeat of last winter.

a lot of the grocery store fruits (mango, papaya, pineapple, etc.) are usually picked green/unripe so they don't taste as good as if they were tree riped.

• johnb51
    12 years ago

I've got a few Improved (Hawaiian) Solo Sunrise plants, which have mild tolerance to virus and fungal disease, in the ground right now along with the Red Ladies. We'll see how they do.

• dangermouse01 (coastal central FL 9B)
    12 years ago

I have some of the Improved HA solo sunrise started. Along with some Tropical Red F1, HA solo sunset and Red Lady all growing in 3 gal pots right now. Those where all started from seeds from Aloha seed in California. Seeds are about $2.50 for a pack of 10 seeds. I think shipping is in the $5 dollar range per order, expensive if you only buy 1 pack of seeds.
    You can also get a smaller variety of papaya seeds from the University of Hawaii's seed program (see link). Packets of papaya seeds are $1 with a lot of seeds in the packet (over 50), a 50 cent handling fee per order. I got some Waimanalo papaya seeds from them which are just starting. I got my seeds in about a week.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of H seed program

• johnb51
    12 years ago

Thank you, dangermouse, for the great link!

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys, it sounds like it might be worth trying! Look forward to seeing updates on how all yours are doing...

• greenman62
    7 years ago

i would gladly do some trials.

i am in New Orleans and have grown papaya for many years.

i also grow mango, several species of Psidium / guava and relatives, Jaboticaba and some other plants.

email sent via website.

thanks

Brad

• irun5k
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Florida Seeds have you make any inroads on a variety that is wasp resistant? Here in Pinellas County the papaya wasp problem is horrible and bagging isn't always a reasonable option.

• PRO
    Florida Seeds
    7 years ago

Hello irun5k, the papaya fruit fly Toxotrypana curvicauda, is actually the principal insect pest of papaya, and she is usually mistaken as a wasp due to its appearance, and behavior. Some studies have evaluated the use of biological control parasites to infest the fly, and there are also works focused on development of pheromone lure and functional trap for this species. Feel free to contact us, we can discuss more about your production and papaya seed varieties. Papaya hybrids with small fruit are more likely to be targeted than larger because of less resistance to fly when depositing eggs, for the same reason a thicker pulp would also provide better resistance. Chemicals naturally present in fruit can make the difference as well.