Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Have people totally lost touch with nature? A vent.

sally2_gw
17 years ago

This is probably, well certainly, none of my business since I don't live in Frisco, but last night on the news they told about how the citizens of Frisco are up in arms about a park that's just opened, or just been renovated. The way the news story presented it, and we all know how accurate they usually are, instead of bermda grass they put in native grasses, which are not conducive to to running and kicking a ball. Also, someone reported seeing a coyote. So, the people are raising a stink. They want their bermuda grass! I'm sorry, but what's wrong with these people!!!???? Heaven forbid their little tykes have to experience nature! Don't they know there's so much more to the outside world than ball kicking? Aren't 10 kazillion soccer fields enough? Don't they know that coyotes are out there anyway, and don't really care if you have bermuda grass or not?

I'm so sick of this attitude. Did you know there's an oasis in Garland where there are big open fields full of grasses and wildflowers? It was, WAS a beautiful field, but the city got worried about fire, so at the peek of bloom time, they mowed down the wildflowers. They didn't even wait till the flowers went to seed, so if they want more wildflowers they'll have to spend my tax money on buying seed. What's wrong with these people?

I hope that the people raising the stink about that park are in the minority, and that most people there appreciate the teaching and learning opportunity a park like that has to offer. Want to kick a ball? Go to the school yard. Want your child to learn about living things, diversity, and beauty, go to that e-park. (I think that's what they said it's called)

Thank you for "listening" to me vent.

Sally

Comments (17)

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

Heh. You just said it wasn't sports.....it was people, that was the problem. Now you're saying people just want sports?

Take an inventory of "parks" (so called), in the DFW area, and you will find that aside from the 2 arboretums, there are maybe 2-3 other parks (all in Highland Park) that are NOT ball fields! That means that the vast majority of "parks" are nothing more than ball fields.

Why do the parks departments call ball fields "parks"? Now there's a really good question, which I have absolutely no answer for.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

The grass police have struck again! First it was my wild flowers now it's native grass at "the park". Not a coyote! Are they planning to let loose a small dog or cat at the park? A pet rabbit? Coyotes wont approach you or your animal on a leash. Before the big housing boom in CA. there were Coyotes everywhere. You could hear them howling at night(sniff sniff I missed that when it went away) Aside from needing to keep pet cats in the house, (I think that should be a law anyway) no one cared about the coyotes. I wonder why it's different here? I agree we don't need another Bermuda oasis anywhere,ever myself. PJ

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rick, good point!

Sally

• petra_gw
    17 years ago

This was just sent to me, and it seems very appropriate for your thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Bear Votes

• mikeandbarb
    17 years ago

Where I live there are coyote's but their being moved in on with all the development. People complain about them but I feel bad for the poor animals cause we're the ones moving into their home land, they didn't come to us we came to them. I think people are stupid, what do they think is out in the country anyway?
    I hate to see wild animals brought into captivity like the little sugar gliders, even though they are cute, they don't belong being raised by humans. I'd like to see it outlawed to sell any wild animals.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

I like "A Bear Votes". That says it all.

There was once a time when the human animal respected other life, and existed with respect for all other creatures. We need to return to that time. Aho.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Rick, I think that might be a mutually beneficial decision.

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

We have a saying (Native peoples)......"We are all related". We need to remember to watch out for our relatives.

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's a cute film. I wish more people (and bears) would vote that way.

Sally

• stitches216
    17 years ago

Well, I know I'm already thought of in here as everyone's most evil, environmentally ruinous uncle, but I like the Bear Votes ad too.

• maden_theshade
    17 years ago

Bermuda grass is just a waste of space, unless you're growing hay!
    :-0

• remuda1
    17 years ago

The most disturbing thing to me regarding this issue and issues like it is that this is what the majority of the children of this planet are being taught. There is just a general decline in the amount of "caring" that parents are instilling in the youth of the world. Children are being taught that everything in this world is disposable as long as it creates a "convenience" for mom, dad, and the kids.

I have always had an appreciation of nature, but I moved to the country from a subdivision in Fort Worth. This place has taught me so much. You CAN live in harmony with nature and in so many ways, it's much more beneficial for US to co-exist rather than having an attitude that it's us OR them.

Ya know, we didn't have any manicured playgrounds when I was a kid. We played in fields with grass and native plants that were sometimes over our heads. We played in creeks and caught crawdads with bacon tied to a string, then let 'em go just for fun.

Now I know that due to circumstances, grass that's taller than kids heads is probably not a good idea these days. Too many bad folks out there, but come on people. In my opinion, one of the greatest tragedies of our time, is that kids these days are unable to experience life and nature the way I was completely free to do so as a child. I truly believe that given the opportunity to do so, these children would grow up with a much more developed appreciation of the world and all of its wonders.

Phew, that's two rants in one morning. I need to go out and hug a rock :). Heavy stuff for this Monday morning.

Kristi

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

I wish when I was a kid, we would of had some place to play, bigger than our yard, that was something besides grass burrs and goat heads. Bermuda grass would have been heaven! Of course, shoes would have helped too! We didn't get new shoes till just before school started.
    Jim

• maden_theshade
    17 years ago

So this morning on the news they were talking about how Kmart was getting some flak b/c their furniture was labeled 'maple' and it wasn't actually real wood. C'mon people - you're buying furniture at Kmart.....did you really think it was real wood! haha! But seriously, people don't know what real wood looks like anymore. Very sad.

• remuda1
    17 years ago

"Of course, shoes would have helped too! We didn't get new shoes till just before school started."

Jim,

We had shoes...I think the tennis shoes that we had were $3.00 at K-Mart. But you would have never caught us with shoes on in the summer. I can remember having to sit down on the curb and pick the tar and gravel off the bottom of my feet when the streets got so hot they melted. I still go barefoot a lot now, but I definitely avoid hot tar and gravel :).

Maden, thanks for this thread, it's brought a lot of good points to mind and it's also brought a lot of good memories to mind as well.

Kristi

• sally2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jim, when I was a kid, I had the option of wearing shoes, but I refused to. When I was outside, which was pretty much all the time, I had the choice of walking on hot, hot pavement or on grass with goathead stickers. I opted for the pavement. I even wore moccasins to school, and wore out the bottoms, and just kept on wearing them so I could get away with going "barefoot" while having shoes on. Occasinally, a teacher or principal would see the bottoms of my feet, and make me gat new shoes. I'd just get the same kind of moccasins and wear them out again. My shoes are still the first thing to come off my feet when I get home from work. There's not too many better feelings than taking one's shoes off at the end of the work day.

If Kmart is calling fake wood real maple, then that's misrepresenting the product, and they shouldn't do it, no matter how obvious it is that the furniture is not really maple.

Sally

• rick_mcdaniel
    17 years ago

If it is labeled "made in china", it probably isn't real wood, no matter where you buy it.

The best furniture is pretty much American made, in wood furniture, and it does matter, even then, what label you buy.