Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverinewny

Compost

riverinewny
17 years ago

Does anyone know city or other sources of compost in WNY? I am just looking for a small amount for my garden. (Not room to make my own, sadly.)

Comments (7)

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I know Lewiston, Tonawanda, and Amherst have compost. I think towns only let their own residents get it though. I would call the highway dept. of whatever location you're at and ask.
    Remy

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I started out making compost in a 32 gal plastic tub that I drilled holes into. I used that method of about 3 years and it worked like a charm. I have alos done it in a 33 gal. trash can. If you have room for an extra trash can you can make some pretty good compost.
    Penny

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Amherst sells it by the bushel or by the yard. Take your own container. Very cheap and open to non-residents. THe link below tells their hours and you can click through for prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: amherst compost facility

• korney19
    17 years ago

River, you have a truck or no? Where are you in WNY? I've used West Seneca and Amherst. I think Amherst's is better quality, plus they even have a published test on it with its N-P-K, calcium, magnesium, pH, etc. They usually charged me around $1.00-$1.25 to fill a Rubbermaid 18-20 gallon container--you do the work so bring your own shovel. If you have a pickup truck or trailer, they'll dump a load right in for $13. They don't take cash, you must pay by check or MO.

West Seneca when I used to go there it was free, but in that case I can say you get what you pay for! FREE, NO CHARGE, were plastic green army men, plastic spoon pieces, etc. I used to bring a 24x24" sifter with me with 1/4" hardware screening. When I started going there, it was open to anyone. For at least the last 3-4 years, I think it's only open to residents and don't know if still free, it may be, I haven't been back since I found Amherst. I have a friend in West Seneca so just used his address back then.

Hi Remy & Penny!

Mark

• Carol_from_ny
    17 years ago

Have you thought about worm composting? You can do that in a bin there is a site here at Gardenweb devoted to it.

• riverinewny
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I think my neighbor (who does have a truck) and I are going to go to Amherst to get some compost next month.

• heebiejeebie
    17 years ago

I use the amherst compost facility all the time. They are really nice there, and the prices are next to nothing. Make sure to bring your checkbook - only form of payment they will take. good compost. I usually fill up my ford taurus with it :-O