Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

Palm Springs MangoDog Yard update July 2011

mangodog
12 years ago

Hey folks. Things are growing, Manny is fruiting and disappointment still hangs around....

First up Rosigold - showing growth, but had zero mangos:

next up - the Timotayo - not a new leaf in over 2 months - I don't know what's going on with this one

The Lancetilla is dying. Only a couple sprouts from the graft joint. I think dog pee is to blame but can't be sure. I've been watering heavily to try and dilute the nitrogen. Only one dog but with favorite spots....

Edward is the one I have under full umbrella coverage. It is on a west facing wall/hedge so gets very hot, and until it outgrows the umbrella, so it will stay...

Chocanon is doing fine. In our intense summer heat there is some growth...

The Nam Doc Mai is doing fine, too.

..the Glenn also....

The pickering shot out some new growth after I pick the 3 little mangos that were developing.

The 3-n-1 (Nam Doc Mai/Haden/Valencia Pride) doing well.

The Maha Chinook, after I cut the top of, had these 4 branches that sprouted (tough to see):

The picture of the Manila isn't so good - too much shade - but's there's about 25 on the tree - some nice and chunky! Will ripen in another couple weeks...

The Keitt has a couple mangos on it but I have no pic at the moment, nor do I have one of the Alphonso - having probably the best measurable growth of the bunch. I'll see if I can get a couple pictures soon - MangoDog

Comments (15)

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

wow, some of those seem to be planted in very tight, confined quarters. I would be worries with the proximity of the cement on some and especially the Rosi. Palm roots, especially one of that size, are not forgiving. I wish you the best.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Gary

Everything looks great! but I think I'm going to harvest my first mangos before you, how is that possible????

JF

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update Mangodog..everything looks great. Hope your Lancetilla pulls through. You're Manila is loaded, enjoy them. I lost my tiny pickering...not sure what happened. I won't be replacing for now till I see what this winter brings.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow the Manilas are looking good, some nice sized ones for sure.

congrats,
    -Ethan

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BSBullie - yes, some mangos are DEFINITELY (and purposefully) planted in tight spaces. My reasons turned out to be quite good! The frost and cold protection when planted under or neat the larger canopies has proven brilliant as both the Rosie and the Manila have been rarely damaged through the winters. I hear you about the root fight going on with plants so close to each other, but am hoping the tap roots of the Manila will go around or through the shallower palm tree roots given time. Lost at least 4 mango trees many years ago when I planted them out in the open. Also, the scorching hot summers do less damage to these closely planted trees, in my experience.
    Every location and climate has it challenges and in my part of the world the book has not been written on addressing them...to my knowledge anyway....

JF - I'm not sure you're going to beat me! I've got some manillas that are half yellow now, but I'm happy we're going to be close.

Pugsy - sorry about your pickering - these young mangos are so fickle, aren't they? One does great in one location that you think might not work out, and another suffers mysteriously in what one would think is a prime location....who can figure out the mystery of these little ones?

Ethan, thanks....yeah, some really bully-sized (lol) manilas just waiting for a fight with my mouth! I'll post a pic or two when I've won that battle....

MangoDesertDog

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

Regarding the 3-in-1 mango, did you graft that yourself or did you buy it like that from a nursery?

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

T-Dude.....I WISH!!!!

No, Mimosa in L.A. had 3 or 4 different 2-n-1's and 3-n-1's they were selling last fall.......the danger is of course the more aggressive varieties will over take the slow growers...but so far the race seems pretty even...we'll see of course.....

M-Dog

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

MD

your 3 in 1 looks pretty even but look for the Valencia Pride to lap the other 2 by the end of summer.

JF

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Your mango trees seem to be doing pretty well. :) The valencia pride will take over due to it's vigorous nature.

• tropicdude
    12 years ago

@mangodog thanks for the information, multi grafting is something I want to try eventually, i guess choosing the right early , mid and late season varieties that have the same growth , Id agree with tropicalgrower the valencia pride is like the godzilla of mango trees, the one i planted at my mothers house, is about 40-45 ft tall, and only about 10 years old. its easily visible on google earth lol but who knows how these cultivars will react sharing the same root stock.

• newgen
    12 years ago

Always fun to see pics of mangoes growing so well. Thanks for the great photos. What's the use of the "tomato cage" around each mango tree?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Everything looks fine to me..one setback is more than offset by the others..The Manila thinks it in the tropics..THATS a nice looking tree.
    Since I thinned my Baileys-the fruit left have grown much faster..faster then I thought they would. Its been pretty warm for the bay area-low to mid 80's,so more water also.

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

They look good! That must have been a bear digging a hole next to the palm for the Rosigold. How cold does it get there in the winter?

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Impressive Manila mango! Manila seems to love Southern California's climate, more so then other mango varieties.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

newgen - the tomato cage is for protection from stray water volleyballs, and double dutied as a scaffold for winter protection.

nullzero and stanofh - thanks, yeah the manila has definitely found a home.

Bluepalm - the rosiegold was small so the hole didn't need to be so big - it seemed fairly easy as I remember. In Palm Springs some winters we get 3 or 4 days around 30...maybe one around 28-29.....the lowest I've seen was 26 around 4 years ago.....

mangodog