Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdmcbr

help id'ing tomato disease

jdmcbr
10 years ago

I have a couple of recently transplanted roma tomatoes in large (~10-15 gallon, I think) pots. They are in a GreenAll potting soil with some compost and a mulch layer on top. Some of the potting soil had been used before for a nightshade, but not one that was diseased, as far as I know. I gave them a deep watering a little over a week ago, and then we got a bit of rain here a few days ago.

They both recently developed a mottled brown/yellow appearance on the top and bottoms of leaves. Lower growth seems more affected. I looked at http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vegetable/problem-solvers/tomato-problem-solver/leaves/ for ideas on what it could be, but to my untrained eye, none of the diseases there look quite like what I am seeing. Any ideas?

Also, I'm seeing hints of the same patterns appearing in other tomatoes that I planted in the ground, though less severe than the potted tomatoes.

Thank you for any wisdom you can offer.

Comments (5)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Usually the whitish spots are environmental/sun damage from transplanting before hardening off properly. That's about all I can suggest. Is it on new growth? The plant will probably recover fine.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree environmental damage and nutrient deficiency. What have you fed them and how often?

Since you are using a potting soil and compost for growing them rather than a container mix you could also easily be over-watering them. Stick your fingers deep into the soil and feel around the root level for moisture before watering.

Dave

• jdmcbr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. I would be slightly surprised if it is hardening off issues; they'd been outside for a few weeks in gallon container before moving up to the larger container. They did experience a small hail storm (fairly unusual for this area), and at the time, leaves were clearly damaged by that. The hail damaged leaves have fallen off already though. Moreover, damage has appeared on new growth.

I'll keep an eye on water. I've still only watered the one time, plus the bit of rain. The watering I did was when I transplanted them in the first place��"I should have made that clearer in my first post.

I gave them each a Dr. Earth 5-7-3 fertilizer (http://www.groworganic.com/dr-earth-tom-veg-herb-573-12-lb.html) when I transplanted to the larger pots. I have not given any fertilizer since.

• ncrealestateguy
    10 years ago

Looks like sun and or wind burn.

• jdmcbr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the comments. It looks like you were all correct, and it was just sunburn after all. I am still surprised that they were not yet hardened off, given how long they'd been outside with partial sunlight, but now I know.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville