Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwwc

Question: do tomatoes need darkness?

jwwc
14 years ago

Still new here, and I've just noticed that the cotyledon on my new sprouts are closing up, even though they're really close to my fluorescent light, is that them saying they need to sleep now, please turn the lights off? Or am I killing them already?Does that mean that apart from the light they've been receiving during the day (the leaves were open an hour ago), they also need a dark period?

Comments (15)

• catman529
    14 years ago

Any plant needs a dark period of time each day (aka night) so they can use the energy they created during the day to grow at night. I don't think it's a good idea to keep the lights on 24/7...give em several hours at night with the lights off.

• jwwc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks catman,
    so is the cotyledon closing normal? or did I manage to kill my new babies =( ? I hope I haven't yet....

• catman529
    14 years ago

Not sure if the cot leaves closing is normal for 24 hour light exposure, maybe there could be another cause. If they're just bending upwards so much that they almost close, they might be fine...if they're curled or some abnormal shape then I'd be more concerned.

• larryw
    14 years ago

I don't think it is all so simple. Consider Alaska where cabbages grow to monstrous sizes during periods of endless days.

But there is no question that tomatoes and peppers grow faster
    at night--at least they do in my greenhouse. And, when germinating seeds, I have watched my trays carefully and hopefully during the daytime, only to be amazed by overnight progress towards a great sprout.

Different strokes for different species? Maybe/probably.
    But I think most all plants have a way of adjusting to their environment, getting tuned in to nature/weather/
    local conditions as they are.

• junktruck
    14 years ago

in a word / yes /

• catman529
    14 years ago

larryw - never heard that about the cabbages before. Maybe the much lower intensity (or angle) of the sun that far north makes up for the lack of darkness...but down here in warmer areas we get intense light followed by darkness and considering the region where tomatoes come from I think they are better suited for night/day periods. Just my 2¢

• jwwc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies, well their cotyledons opened up again this morning, and I think my fluorescent light was too hot, some of the tips seem kind of burnt....will make sure to have them a little further away from the light today. Right now they're just sitting at the window being blown at by the wind. =)

• korney19
    14 years ago

I posted this pic in a different tomato forum just a day or so ago. It shows different results for different hours of lights on/off. The 12 on/12 off appears to be the most vigorous growth. The 24 hours on & off seem to be the worst. I can personally vouch for not keeping the lights on 24/7--by accident, that happened last year and the plants were severely stunted, pale, scraggly.

{{gwi:1320409}}

• Bets
    14 years ago

Wow korney19!

That is about as dramatic example as I have ever seen! I knew that plants were supposed to do their growing at night like catman says, but I had not seen it tested before. Although I see that the experiment is about as old as I am. *grin*

Thanks for posting it.

Bets

• euarto_gullible
    14 years ago

I also don't think the answer to this is so simple. There have been other discussions here on this topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion about leaving the lights on

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

Seedlings will do great with 24/7 lighting, at least for the first 7-8 weeks. After that, they do not do as well in the long run. Proof is available via a search of this site.

Mike

• macheske
    14 years ago

If you're just using 24/7 light to start plants to go into the garden, then it works great. I did an experiment last year. Two sets of plants..one 16 hours of light, one 24 hours. The 24 hour plants were much bigger, produced faster, and produced much more over the season. I leave my lights on 24/7 for everything now. There is a thread out there that I documented my experiment in from last year. I used the peppers as examples but tomatoes were very similar.

Good luck,
    Rick

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

Thanks, Rick. Your experiment is proof positive!

Mike

• taz6122
    14 years ago

I leave my lights on 24/7 for everything now
    Even for your house plants?

• puckbrain
    11 years ago

I was noticing my tomatoe plants were really growing at night. I marked the stake and 2 hours later I checked it and they grew over 1".