Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpgreen

Have you started watering yet?

bpgreen
15 years ago

I'm just curious how many people here have started watering.

Most of my neighbors have been watering daily for several weeks, now, but I haven't even tested the sprinklers yet. One neighbor only watered once and that was only because the lawn service applied fertilizer. I haven't even tested mine yet, but if we don't get some rain this week, I'll probably break down.

One key difference is that my neighbors who are watering daily have unmetered water (but so does the one who only watered once so far). Because I start later and water less, my metered water costs me less than the unmetered water would cost.

Are there any other holdouts on watering?

Comments (9)

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

We've watered 2-3 times in the month of May. Just a couple minutes per station. We started the system by hand and have not put it on 'auto pilot' yet. It's going to save us a lot of money on our water bill for the month!

• jimh6278
    15 years ago

Twice on auto and once by hand to tune the pop-ups. Some spot watering with a hose where I have new seed. The one back lawn I use is very soft and wet. I have my system off with rain coming in the next couple days. I have not had the water accumulation of other areas. I have not had more than 1/3 - 1/2 inch any day this spring. Beside the cool weather, I think it has helped that I have mulched a lot of leaves and punched the lawn twice this spring.

• bpgreen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"punched the lawn twice"

What does it mean to punch the lawn?

• stevation
    15 years ago

I set my sprinkler timer to auto around the first of May (it was dry for a long time in April!), but I kept turning it off (it allows me to specify a certain number of days to be off and then comes back on again). I think it has really only been on about once a week.

I've had one particular watering problem that I think I solved this year:

I have a long row of Pink Simplicity roses that have aborted their spring flush in past years (the tiny flower buds just fell off, even though the shrubs were growing lots of nice green growth). The consensus in the rose forum was that they needed extra water in the spring, because Utah's very dry air was likely making the buds separate at the joint where the spent flowers will eventually fall off (they're self-cleaning roses, meaning there's a joint on the base of the stem that just allows it to fall off when the flowers are spent). So, I've been giving them two hours of slow soaker hose treatment once a week, and I think it's working. I've also given them some foliar feeding with Miracle Gro Bloom Booster, and I hope that helps. So far, the little buds are still intact, and I expect a great bloom in a few weeks.

• jimh6278
    15 years ago

sorry - aerated. The soil was so neglected I need to help the worms.

• Alliegator
    15 years ago

I haven't started watering yet... but I don't have grass yet. We just moved into a new house and the sod is being delivered tomorrow!

I'm hoping not to have to water the lawn much, once it's established.

• bpgreen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Believe it or not, I still haven't turned my sprinklers on even to test. I think I'll test them this weekend, but I don't plan on watering until the following weekend (6/20-6/22).

• dereks
    15 years ago

I've been watering every four days to more than a week depending on the weather. I have neighbors that water literally every day (sometimes twice a day) and their lawn looks no better than mine. I don't know why people get it in their heads that they have to water so much.

• bpgreen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally broke down and tested it this evening and set it to run early next week. The backyard is still pretty green and my neighbor on one side waters so much that I don't need to do one side, but I'm going to run 3 of the 6 stations.

I'm going to try to water longer when I water, but less often than last year. I figure that will favor the native grasses and their long roots.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus