Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaherbmom

nursery recommends NoVa

vaherbmom
9 years ago

Went to the Meadows Farms in Broad Run, seemed to be sold out of a lot and cashier was decidedly unhelpful about future stock.

I'm especially looking for repeat lilacs, vinca and creeping phlox. Anyone recommend a better nursery Warrenton/Front Royal/Winchester?

Also need to replace spade fork, hoe, garden rake, hand trowels and the ones at Lowe's and TSC did not look to be good quality. Any recommends for where to find?

Comments (4)

• Mandyvilla
    9 years ago

The "mother" of all nurseries is Merrifield Garden Center. Expect to find what you are looking for, at their healthiest and priced accordingly. In the long run, it's probably the most cost effective because your plants will not only survive, but will thrive. But I am the first to say, I can't afford to shop there like I shop at the other places. There is a Merrifield on Wellington Road in Gainesville. Set your budget before you go, but do go, because you will fall in love with more than you went to buy. I would head over to a Sears (I guess K-Mart too) for Craftsmen tools, which have been replaced for me, no questions asked.

• vaherbmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sounds good! I'm sure I will want to buy way more than I should when I get there.

Thanks!

• Mandyvilla
    9 years ago

Now, if you are looking to find something new, something that just hit the market, take a drive into Alexandria/Ft. Hunt area on Route 1 and check out Holly, Wood, & Vine. Again, not easy on the pocketbook (but then again 1 of their plants = 3 Meadow Farms' plants), but definitely worth the detour if you are over that way.

• larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    9 years ago

Abernethy & Spencer is a really great nursery, one of Loudoun County's best kept secrets. It's in Purcellville, VA, just across from the Lincoln Elementary School. The prices are much better than Merrifield's and it's very eco-friendly. It's run by true plants people.

Merrifield's is very nice, as is Behnke's, just off the Beltway in College Park, Maryland.

Edited to add: I'm not sure about buying tools at A &S, as I haven't bought any there. It's an old school nursery and doesn't seem like the kids of place that would sell cheap tools.

This post was edited by larecoltante on Mon, May 19, 14 at 21:55

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!