Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

ARE San Antonio in October ...

What a difference a month makes. My rose friend Lesli (we met on the GW Antique Rose Forum about ten years ago) came to town today and what better way to spend the day than looking at roses at Antique Rose Emporium!

The cooler weather has the roses gearing up for their fall bloom and the companion plants, like salvias, are at their best.

Archduke Charles starts off pure red and then the centers turn pink ...

Archduke Charles showing more of the bush ...

{{gwi:310671}}

A very long hedge of Mrs. B. R. Cant and Ducher is at the back of the property. Don't miss it if you go. I can't think of more beautiful roses, as well as being constant bloomers, than these two ...

{{gwi:310670}}

Old Blush looking like royalty with Henry Duelberg salvias bowing at her feet ...

Monsieur Tillier with Mexican Salvia making a great color combo ...

La Vesuve is hardly ever out of bloom, but is particularly lovely with the bronzy new foliage complimenting the flowers ...

{{gwi:310669}}

Another view of La Vesuve ...

{{gwi:310668}}

Deana Krause, a new one for me to admire ...

Penelope was covered with panicles of buds and flowers. This is one that will do nicely in a little shade ...

Always a beauty and so fragrant, the big blooms of Souv. de la Malmaison ...

I couldn't find the tag to this one, but it is beautiful. I noticed that there are no flower thrips on any of the roses. ARE doesn't spray with anything but seaweed or fertilize with anything but organics ...

Salvia Limelight, what a stunning color ...

Hope you enjoyed these few photos. I feel so fortunate to have Antique Rose Emporium right here in San Antonio that I wanted to share them.

Comments (9)

• ibheri
    13 years ago

Absolutely Rselee. Thankyou so much for sharing.

I got the climbing Pinkie from the bulb mart in Houston. I hope its a good time to plant it now.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now is an excellent time to plant Cl. Pinkie! I'm in the process of planting several new roses myself. The plants will be putting down roots as well as top growth through the winter and be well established before the heat sets in next summer. Not that the heat slows Cl. Pinkie down very much :-) Keep us posted on how it does for you.

• flowerlover78
    13 years ago

how exciting- beautiful photos too! I have never been there, but now want to go! I just got several roses myself, and am excited about my ideas of where to plant them in the yard. We have a total of 20 acres, but we have 2 acres inside the "house area" to plant. Gina

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh wow Gina! With all that space you can let some of your roses get big, if they are ones that are inclined to do so. BTW, I'll be trying to root some roses this winter to bring to the swap next spring.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Those are beautiful, I'll have to get back over there again. I think they have a Rose Festival coming up soon.

I'm hoping to get some kind of enclosure in a sunny part of the yard to keep out deer so I can plant roses. We're replacing the property fence this fall so if I have a goal like the spring swap it will help to get the ball rolling on that.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I stuck about 40 cuttings and will be doing more so wish me luck and then get ready for some roses. (Sometimes they take and sometimes they don't.)

By the way, I said it backwards about the color change on Archduke Charles. It starts out pink in the middle and turns red. Beautiful rose!

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

Hey Roselee!

Due to this thread, last weekend I went to ARE and purchased Archduke Charles, Henry Duelberg salvias, and La Vesuve.

OMG! I luv Archduke and La Vesuve!!!! How did I ever miss these beauties when I last went to ARE?!?!

Just wanted to send you a big THANK YOU for this post!

Audrey

• rcnaylor
    13 years ago

This thread is causing me rose envy.

My trees are putting my roses in to decline. I want the shade from our constant sun and the trees help in breaking up our big supply of wind. And, where I do have some decent sun left, I have fruit there. So, its a choice, shade or sunloving plants.

It seems its hard to have your cake and eat it too. Drats!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your new acquisitions Audrey. I appreciate you letting us know. Those two roses seem to be favorites of a lot of people :-)

Richard, trees do have a way of just getting bigger and bigger :-( And that's a big problem if you want to grow sun loving plants like roses as I do.

I like the shade of trees too so my solution was to have the the trees 'limbed' way WAY up. That thins the canopy as well so the roses get a little filtered light and the slanting morning and afternoon sun instead of deep shade. That kind of sun is better for them anyway, and I get enough shade to suit me from the tree canopy that's way up there high in the sky.