Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Hummingbirds on their way!

melvalena
13 years ago

The Little Wonders are on their way back!

They are usually spotted mid to end of March in my area of North Texas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Migration Map

Comments (48)

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

My Carolina Jessamine is blooming, so it shouldn't be long now!

• sam_mocotx
    13 years ago

I put my feeder out this weekend for them. So far no sign of them here in Montgomery County (north of Houston). Can't wait for them to arrive!

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

I've never quite figured out why they do it by species only and then it's mostly the Ruby-throated on most maps. The species we see most is the Black-chinned Hummingbird, (although various others come through a bit during migration periods). There's no migration map for that one!

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

I saw this post and cleaned and restocked my two feeders today. I've always wanted hummers in my yard and this year I'm planting more hummer food than ever! Wish me luck! Thanks for the link too!

• bouquet
    13 years ago

Several years ago when there were so many fires in the northwest, I spotted this Rufous hummingbird in my backyard for several weeks. He had a bright orange head that really stood out in the sun. The picture is not too clear but here he is

• bigtexworms
    13 years ago

I can't wait! I love love love them.

• pjtexgirl
    13 years ago

I just planted my 3rd Carolina Jessamine. I hope they show up soon too. Last year they went crazy over the Hyacinth bean (July-Sept).

• carino2010
    13 years ago

When will they arrive in Houston?

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

I guess this is as close as it comes to the map for the hummingbirds that I see. Hmmm...I see a couple of reports not far from my area!

Here is a link that might be useful: Other Hummingbirds

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

carino2010,

According to the migration map some have already been spotted around Houston.

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

According to the second link (thanks, linda_tx8) one has been spotted in Garland, very near me! We'd better all go clean all our feeders out!!!

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

My feeder has been up for a while! I figure they might need a little extra enticement...near the blooming plant...couldn't hurt, although I KNOW they prefer the plant right now!

• texanjana
    13 years ago

I put my feeders up today, usually see our first hummer around March 15th.

• jardineratx
    13 years ago

I saw my first hummer of the season early last week, enjoying the blooms of my Kalanchoe. I'm a few miles west of Tomball.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got my feeders out over the weekend. I'm so happy to hear someone here on Texas garden Web has actually seen one!

• carino2010
    13 years ago

Thank you melvalenam, I will clean my feeders today and wait for these little angels.

• chena
    13 years ago

This is from a migration a couple yrs. ago.. I am so looking forward to their return.. ;0)

Kylie

{{gwi:567075}}

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Great photo, Kylie, I never see this many at one time.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW!!! I love to see bunches of them together.

• chena
    13 years ago

There were about 15 going to this feeder.. I had 2 other feeders out but they really didn't have much to do with them??? This was all I could get in one shot out of about a bazillion try's..LOL

Kylie

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad you kept trying. Mine never seem to stay long enough for me to take a picture or 'em. They buzz in and out.
    This year I plan to have lots more flowers for them now that my beds are ready to plant.

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

WOW! That is 8 at once! If you get that many, could you please let some of them know about my feeders in Mesquite?

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Kylie may have them all tagged like JD does.........LOL. Really been expecting him to chime in at any time......

• alouwomack
    13 years ago

Anyone spotted birds around DFW? I'm thinking it's still too early...

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

There were 5 or 6 on my crossvine this morning.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I swear I've heard one on 2 different occasions over the last 2 days. But haven't seen one yet.
    Rubys have been spotted up in Oklahoma already. Other species haven't been reported in N Texas yet.

Anyone in the DFW area see any action yet?

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

They are finally here...don't know why so late, BUT glad to see them! They are using the salvias, since the jessamine no longer has blooms.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, what part of N Texas are you in? I'm in North Flower Mound.

• chena
    13 years ago

I saw the first on on the feeder this morning!! YAY!!
    Time to get the rest of them out!!

Kylie

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just saw my first hummer!!! I had been working out in the yard all day. Came in and cleaned up and getting dinner started. I walked over to the window just to admire what I had accomplished and he came right up to the feeder in front of my face. I didn't move but said oh my gosh so hubby could turn and look. Hummer guy just looked at me, thought about landing but changed his mind.
    Then I looked across the house to the front feeder and there he was!
    I'm pretty sure he was a black chinned. I'm so glad I had the feeders up and filled. This is the earliest I've ever seen one myself.

• justintx
    13 years ago

Hey Mel,
    I saw my first one today - but I haven't been home in daylight hours much for the last month. Just put out my feeders last Sunday and they were low. the little black-chinned male may have been around a while. the house finches like the feeders too. They may be the ones that have been visiting.

I remember them showing up around the 14th a couple of years ago. I didn't record my 1st siting last year. nice to see them again.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It just feels so right that they're back. :)

House finches on hummer feeders? Really?

Dang it Kylie you're ahead of us but only by a few days.

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

Melvalena, you better catch the little buggers and put their sweaters on.
    Jim

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would if they'd let me! Its pretty chilly and damp up here.
    Maybe these guys will hang around a bit before moving further north.

Melvalena

• sowngrow (8a)
    13 years ago

Saw the first one nectaring from my coral honeysuckle yesterday evening! I'm in the Ft. Worth area.

• bootscootengal
    13 years ago

saw my first 1 sat. about 3.lov the little guys!!!!!

• justintx
    13 years ago

Mel,
    Yep, every year the house finches hold on the best they can and help themselves to some 'juice'. They've always done it here. Interesting that you haven't seen the same.

• Sowth Efrikan
    13 years ago

I'm so jealous - last year we had great success with agastache, we actually saw a hummingbird sit - yes, sit - on the plant. That was before my dog dug it up, so this year I am starting all over again.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hang in there sowthefrikan!!!!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

If there are any hummingbird watchers out there, that want to come by. I will open my yard to the folks on this forum. I am not going to open it to the public. Last year I used 5 lbs of sugar a day to keep the feeders full. It kept me busy. I only let two people come by and take pictures. A couple from Alice, and Humble. They both stayed for hours, taking pictures. Last year I had a white hummingbird stay for 4 days. Also the redbirds next door in the State of Texas property were in, all you could see were red birds in the trees. Both couples came from Lindas' house, when they heard about the white hummingbird. Linda, opens her yard to hummingbird watchers. Barbra

• flowerlover78
    13 years ago

they loved the pride of barbados/ bird of paradise last year, I am not sure if the frost got to mine or what - but am going to work on more for this year, they are so awesome and you guys have some great photos of them. I am never that quick to get the camera- will have to work on it this year

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh how I wish I lived closer to you!

• carrie751
    13 years ago

It would be a great week-end trip for you and hubby, Mel.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Me maybe .. Hubby won't drive 30 minutes for a nice meal! He sure as heck won't drive to see hummers.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Then leave him at home..............LOL>

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Well, they certainly took their time arriving at my house, but they are here now..............

• melvalena
    Original Author
    13 years ago

/jumping up and down

Yea!!!!

So far I've only seen that one, once. I thought I saw one early one morning buzz the yard but the sun was in my eyes and I couldn't be sure it was a hummer, but I thought it was.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Saw my first hummer here in San Antonio yesterday. It was on the red yucca flowers which are just opening.

Last year there were huge fights over the feeder so we'll try to keep two going.

Barbra, that's a lovely invitation. If we do get to the coast, I'll certainly get in touch. We'll try not to stay for hours, but the hummingbirds are just part of what I'd love to see in your yard!

Shirley