Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtees_garden

Cool weather mango question

rtees_garden
12 years ago

Hi all, I have a question for the cool weather mango growers, especially those in Southern CA.

I returned from vacation yesterday to find that my Valencia Pride mango has started a growth flush. It is a young tree that I planted in July.

The nights recently have been in the low 40s and will stay that way until March or so with highs in the 60s (typical coastal San Diego weather).

What I want to know is should I give the tree a weak dose of fertilizer to help the growth out or just leave it be. My feeling is to leave it alone since I do not want a lot of tender growth to get damaged if we get a cold night (like last week, I'll post on that heartbreak later) but on the other hand, since it has decided to do this on its own maybe I should help it along.

What are the experience of others on this matter?

Thanks, Richard

Comments (6)

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi Richard,

Hi Richard,

I would not fertilize it until March. I have new growth and flowers on all my mangos. This is the coldest month of the year but we are in the middle of warn period for the next 7 days (mid 70's and low 80's)so you might see some Flos pushing in the next month or so. Where are you in San Diego? Here in North Orange, we've been in the mid 70's and low 40's for a week so I've even had a Mallika ripen today.

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

follow your hunch, Richard, do NOT fertilize. As you see, JF is one talented mango grower - imagine a ripe mango in your mouth close to the 1st of the new year!

MangoGROWL

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi MangoDog

How was your Noche Buena? Did you roast a little pig?? What's up for New Year? Fertilizing is a no-no in the winter months. The lesson that I learned this year is if your trees flower in July let them set fruits and with a little patience they WILL ripen!

JF

P.S. See you in the Jan. or Feb. meeting???maybe pick up a few box of mangos in the los angeles wholesale produce market?? early Ataulfo are right around the corner.....

• rtees_garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. With citrus and avocado experience, I thought that leaving it alone was best. I never hat this issue with my previous trees, but they were in eastern San Diego County where the winter lows were usually in the mid to high 30s.

JF, If you know the area, I am in the western end of Carmel Valley, about 1/2 mile from the ocean, up on the edge of the mesa. We are always a few degrees warmer than most of the city in our lows but my long term concern is that we will not get enough warmth in the summer for my new trees. My high yesterday was only 65 while it was 72 at my office a few miles farther inland.

I'll just have to wait and see how things grow here...

Richard

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Richard
    The only San Diego county coastal areas I'm very familiar with are Oceanside and Carlsbad area. It does seem milder as you head down south to San Diego in the summer but you should be fine. What's your zip code? I was station in Camp Pendleton for four years near Del Mar beach.

JF

• rtees_garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

JF

I am in Zipcode 92130 and the climate is very similar to western Carlsbad.

Richard