Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjam2

Where to buy Iris in DFW?

msjam2
10 years ago

Hello!

Does anybody know where I could buy irises in DFW area? I have read that Japanese Iris are okay to plant in damp areas.

Thanks a lot for any info!

Comments (6)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I really like Louisiana iris, and think they would work well in a damp area........
    The low and wetland origins of the native species should not imply that Louisiana irises require aquatic culture. They do love water and thrive in ponds and boggy settings, but Louisianas also grow and bloom exceedingly well in typical garden beds. These irises should not be allowed to dry out during periods of drought, however. They will stay green and grow through hot weather only with ample moisture.

• msjam2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome! Now when are they available at the nursery normally? Or do you buy them online like roses?

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I think the best way to get well-adapted plants is to swap!

People who have La iris (beautiful things) will always have extras.

& La iris will thrive here, while Siberians need a more acid soil.

You might check with Northaven Gardens & place a 'wanted' in the Exchanges part of the Texas Forum, & a lot of online nurseries will have them.

Dutch irises do well here, too, & they're pretty cheap;
    they're bulbous irises, & they die down after flowering, but they have beautiful, really orchid-like flowers & make wonderful cut flowers.

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

Costco has some right now and so do the big box stores.

• msjam2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh, costco has them?!!! Woooott!!! I'm leaving work early tomorrow!
    Thanks for the heads up!!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

Not really DFW, but Big Chicken Daylily Farm in Brownsboro (just east of Edom) has named iris as well as their daylilies. And while you're out this way you could stop at Blue Moon Gardens.

Lin