Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

EarthTainer 'Farm' Update - May 23 (pics)

rnewste
14 years ago

It has been a wonderful week in N. California (other than our State runs out of money in 2 months).

All of the plants have put on another 7 to 10 inches of growth in the past 8 days since my last photo update:

{{gwi:32034}}

Bloody Butcher and Buckbee continue to lead in the height department:

{{gwi:32035}}

But Goose Creek is "flying high" as well (New Tomato-tone on one side; Old Tomato-tone on the other - You call it!):

{{gwi:32036}}

Even though Big Beef (left) and Celebrity are on a shaded deck with a 50% lattice cover, they are coming along quite robustly as well. I used a 50/50% Old and New Tomato-tone blend on these two plants, and this combo is looking pretty promising so far:

{{gwi:32037}}

Staged plantings of sweet corn are doing fine in the full sun now:

{{gwi:32039}}

And the Gurney's Gotta Have-it: is sporting silks now:

{{gwi:32041}}

I am VERY glad that I planted only 15 stalks per 'Tainer this year, as they all look "happy" in their home this year:

{{gwi:28857}}

So far, no major pest problems. I have sprayed with Serenade as we have an outbreak of Powdery Leaf Mildew here this Spring.

{{gwi:32043}}

Now, time for a work-out session in the Hot Tub!

Raybo

Comments (8)

• earthworm73
    14 years ago

Nice pics Raybo. What kinda temps are you seeing in your area?

• rnewste
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Earthworm 73,

Temps are in the moderate range this week. Mid 70's to low 80's. Just perfect for outdoor activities (and pollination, as well).

BTW, I am going to be employing your corn pollination technique with the Ball jar and "sock-puppet" this week. I am thinking about putting a light spray of Pam on the corn silks before wiping on the pollen. What do you think? I saw where Duane used vegetable oil, although I never heard if he was successful with this approach.

Raybo

• tammysf
    14 years ago

Looking good raybo. Aren't u loving this weather. Perfect for fruitset.

Its supposed to be a little hotter next week.

I am about a month behind you in my plantout date but your plants are twice the size of mine.

• duajones
    14 years ago

Ray, I used mineral oil right where the silks meet the corn to try and avoid earworm problems that folks mention. I tried to do this once I felt pollination had occured. I have no idea at this point how well pollination went or if the mineral oil helped at all. The 25th will be 20 days from the point the first silks appeared so I am keeping a close eye on them. I did notice that the cob is peeking out on most and I am not sure if that is good or bad. Just have to wait and see, but I am hopefull that things are ok because I cant wait to bite into a buttered ear of sweet corn for the first time in my garden. Some success would definitely make me want to do it again.

Duane

• rnewste
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply Duane. We don't have earworm problems here in Silicon Valley (no one grows corn out here), so I guess we don't have the "traditional" insects.

My thought on the oil treatment on the silks was to make the pollen adhere better to each silk. Sounds from your report that the oil is not for that purpose. Guess I will then just try to "paint" the pollen on to the silks.

Raybo

• lantanascape
    14 years ago

Wow, 15 corn plants per EarthTainer is impressive. Everything looks great!

• earthworm73
    14 years ago

Raybo, I think you got me confused with someone else. I am still new to earthtainers you don't want my opinion on anything if you want success.

Larrick

• Pandorae
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update. Very nice indeed!

I too am growing Goose Creek but ordered my seeds on Ebay and was worried they were not the real deal. Your past comments about the celery like leaves though have set my mind at ease. I am seeing the same foliage. Hope mine taste as good as your 2008 crop.

Also enjoyed the picture of your new grandchild. He really is adorable. Congratulations!

Pandorae