Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiemae1456

Morning glories in hanging baskets

maggiemae1456
16 years ago

Has anyone ever grown morning glories or moonflowers in hanging baskets? I was wondering if they would hang down when they grew or if they would try to grow up.

Comments (7)

• nucci60
    16 years ago

A couple come to mind. red ensign and blue ensign . there are probably many more. these MGs mound instead of climb.I am sure one of the MG experts will respond.

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

I've grew Mt fugi, red picotee, cameo elegance, cornell, and sunsmiles in hanging pots last year. They all vined down towards the ground and twined their stems around each other.
    Just make sure that you hang them far enough apart that the vines don't wrap around a different MG, unless you want them to. A few times I did have to twist a few vines around another one in the pot to keep it from going up and then just let some of them go up around the hanger. They really looked nice.
    Be sure to use a mix of just plain potting soil with some miracle grow soil. Too much fertilizer will cut down on the number of flowers and just give you lots of vines.

Fran

• tabarhodes
    16 years ago

i am growing a scarlet morning glory in a hanging basket right now. I have it in my baywindow inside and it's really lovely. I added a chain in between the basket hook and the ceiling hook so it would have more area to climb up.

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

I'm growing Star of Yelta in a hanging basket - and only because the back of the seed packet said this was good for hanging baskets. They're still small, maybe 8" even with some twining, but I was delighted to see ready to open flower buds already this morning. I haven't had MG's since I was a child and thought they had to reach some size before producing flowers. I'm thrilled with this variety.

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

I don't think it's a good idea.

I morning glory plant in one hanging container, planted in the center of the pot, a 10 inch pot, will need to be wrapped around itself as it grows and starts to vine out.

Unless you want the vines to just go all the way to the ground and then run along the ground, you will need the room to twine the vines around each other as well as let them grow down.

You won't see any other plant in your hanging basket.

Fran

• emmagrace2
    13 years ago

michael tampa, fl

Sunsmiles Morning Glories and Sidare Morning Glories would be best since these are both dwarf trailing types and are not 'climbers'.

Sidare Japanese Morning Glory seeds are relatively hard to find, however, I will be growing Sidare this year as well as more Sunsmiles.