Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Potted Tomatoes and Peppers for Sale at Farmer's Market

I am growing Balcony/Patio Hybrid tomatoes and have put them in 3 + gallon pots. They are growing in a soiless mix (Al's Mix from the container forum) and are staked. They will remain in this pot and they are not intended to be transplanted.

I am planning on selling these at our Farmer's Market. No one has ever sold potted tomatoes at our market. Since the market is opening up three weeks earlier, I wanted to have things to sell.

The plants are growing great and most to all have tomatoes set on.

My question is this, has anyone ever seen or sold tomatoes or peppers like this before? If so, how much were they asking for them. I saw tomatoes in one gallon peat pots selling for $5.99 at a discount store. I know mine are worth more than that! I know how much $$ I have invested. I am just curious what others are thinking about a fair price. If they don't sell, I will just keep them myself and sell the tomatoes!

What is a reasonable price for a potted/staked tomato?

{{gwi:34292}}

Thanks for your time and ideas.

Comments (11)

• carawaykara
    15 years ago

I can tell you that I purchased similar sized plants (no fruit had set though) in one gallon buckets that were meant to be transplanted into the ground for $4.25 each. Given that these are meant to be left in their pots, I expect you could get a bit more. I suspect a cap may be in the 8 to 10 dollar range. Given that they are potted plants and will require fertilization, perhaps you could sell some liquid fertilizer along with them for a more complete product.

Just my thoughts, I have no experience in these matters.
    John

• buck1173
    15 years ago

I don't know anything about growing in containers, but if a plant was being sold healthy, coming along nicely, in a container that was adequate for its entire growth phase, and staked properly, and it was a tasty/exciting variety that was container appropriate, in my area $15-$19.99 would be reasonable.

Its very attractive to be able to grow nice tasty tomatoes on your back porch and not have to do any thinking, just water, fertilize and pick.

For people who don't care to learn the ins & outs, its worth a premium.

but bear in mind, I'm in NJ, and up until last year, from the NYC area, so I'm accustomed to overpaying. : )

I LOVE John's idea of including a packet of fertilizer! the more 'turn key' you make it, the more attractive your product.

good luck!!!

• vegjoe
    15 years ago

.....perhaps small packets of fertilizer and a "how to grow" sheet?

i think the $15 - $20 range seems right, too.

• deep___roots
    15 years ago

Those are very nice plants.
    My only concern for you is, nurseries don't sell tomato plants that size, do they? Around here, you might see one gallons, but mostly it is 4 inch pots or the like.
    Must be a reason they don't bother to sell that size.
    Just my opinion and everybody has one right or wrong, but your commendable time, costs and efforts might not be worth what you think they are in the marketplace, especially with plants as readily available and cheap as tomato plants. I could be completely off-base and there may be persons willing to pay a premium for your nicely sized and complete plants. In fact, I'm sure there will be a certain number of people. The market will show you how many people. Best of luck.

• city_tomato
    15 years ago

I know it's too late now, but maybe for next year... Anyways, in my area, the mature plants that sell the best are the hanging baskets of tumbler tomatoes. They go for $20 and the stores can't keep them in stock. As soon as they come in, they're sold out.

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

My only concern for you is, nurseries don't sell tomato plants that size, do they? Around here, you might see one gallons, but mostly it is 4 inch pots or the like.
    Must be a reason they don't bother to sell that size.

Interesting that you say that b'c this AM I'd written a long response here saying about the same as you just said, then thought better of it and logged out.

The reason that nurseries and farmstands don't sell plants that sie in 3 gal containers is b'c it's assumed that they would be transplanted and transplanting such a large plant doesn't always go well.

My commercial farmer friend will raise a few varieties in one gal containers for retail sale but most of his plants are in 4 or 6 packs at the right size for planting.

jr, I know you said your plants weren't supposed to be transplanted, but I sure wouldn't want to raise Balcony or Patio hybrids in just 3 gal pots. I'd want something larger and the whole deal with the Balcony ones is so that they cascade down from a Balcony, if I assume what you're growing is the same as the balconi varieties so popular in Europe.

Where I live no one would buy such large plants except those who haven't grown tomatoes before and those who are now desperate b'c they didn't raise from seed and didn't get the smaller plants in 4 or 6 packs.

But as was said above, you'll see soon enough what the market will bear when you start selling them.

Just my opinion based on where I live.

Carolyn

• athenainwi
    15 years ago

Large plants like that were selling for $9 at the farmer's market here in Madison two weeks ago. The farmer's market here is large and there were at least 3 places with the large tomato plants so there is more competition here and you might be able to charge more since you'll be the only one selling them.

I believe they were mostly being bought by people who wanted a jump start on the season with a larger, flowering plant. I'm guessing there is only a short window of time before the people at the market would rather buy a ripe tomato than a potted plant. If you emphasize that they don't need transplanting and are good varieties for a pot then you might be able to sell more of them to people.

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the information and ideas. The plants are a variety that grow well in containers. I am including a "how-to" grow sheet.
    To answer some of your questions....

John-good idea on the fertilizer, I will look into it.

Deep-roots-I have not seen nurseries sell plants like this. I suspect carrying costs would be a main problem along with space. I am hoping that my main customers are going to be older adults who live in small apartments or houses and don't have the area to garden or have a small balcony. I first started off growing them for my own Grandmothers, but my wife thought I should grow more and sell them. As I said before, this is an experiment.

City Tomato- I wanted to plant some of the Tumbling Tomatoes, but I did not have a space to put them. Maybe if they sell good this year, I will try them next year!

Carolyn- Thanks for your insite. I feel that you don't think a 3 gallon pot is big enough? Should I have gone with 5? Time will tell. I agree with you, I probably wouldn't buy a potted tomato either. However, if I didn't live on 5 acres, and did not have a space to garden in, I would think about it! To talk about the desperate type. We have had some massive hailstorms move through the area. I know some people lost whole gardens. I am guessing there may be a few of them.

Talking about selling things to people who haven't grown plants before. I personally think it is crazy that they sell 6 packs of green beans, cucumbers, watermelon, pumpkins and squash. They cost more than an whole packet of seeds! Most of those plants are an easy plop seed in ground and water. It will come up in 5-9 days. What is so hard about that? One time I saw a lady with 6 6-packs of green beans. They had to run her over $15. A pack of Blue Lake beans were $1.25. To me, that is taking advantage of people!

If anyone else has thoughts, I would love to hear them!

• dave1mn2
    15 years ago

With the salmonella scare going on right now and fruit on your plants, I think its a no brainer to get $15.00

I saw some at Home Depot last yr. in cheapo 3gal pots (a little more attractive than nursery pots) and the small 3 ring cages for $15.99 No idea how well they sold.

Seems like you'd have near to 5 bucks in em.

Good Luck

• nancyofnc
    15 years ago

So,how did they sell????

• catman529
    15 years ago

I would love to sell tomato plants at our farmer's market. I saw plenty of tomato plants there last year, some hybrids, some heirlooms. If I had enough space full of sunlight, I would grow a lot of extras and sell them at the FM. So far it doesn't look like I have a good spot, so I'm just growing some for my garden and a few extras to give away to friends.