Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
granburyflowergirl

Concrete Planters - how big and where to buy?

14 years ago

I want to use concrete planters for my clematis to grow in on my patio and maybe even to put my Lady banks rose in so it wont get too big. I know I need a light color so the plants wont cook, and it has to have drain holes so they wont drown and it must be heavy so it will stay put.

Any suggestions for a good place to buy quality, affordable planters?

How big should they be?

Thanks

Comments (11)

• 14 years ago

I recently blogged about this very same thing on my home and garden blog. These containers are lightweight, inexpensive, have fantastic drainage, and look very unique.

If you're up for trying a new craft that is very simple, check out my website. Very inexpensive and looks fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cutest Little House in Town

• 14 years ago

I know that there is a place on 377 north between Granbury and Cresson, but I haven't stopped in there. We love David's Patio in Springtown. I have a few pieces of their ornamental concrete and prices are reasonable. The phone number is 817-677-4921 and they offer everything on display with the option of raw or painted with a discount if you don't mind it without paint. There is a website but I see that it's under construction. I bet they could email a catalog if you call them. I have no idea how large you'd need to go for a LB Rose.

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: David's Patio

• 14 years ago

Thanks Erica, that looks like a pretty cool project and I may try it for other plantings but I need the patio pots to be really solid and heavy and a bit more formal. Anyone else?

• 14 years ago

I can't help you with a place to buy in your area (my favorite is Frazier's off Hwy 290 and Hwy 6) but make sure you can unload the thing before you buy. Even the small ones can weigh a lot. A couple of years ago, I went crazy and bought three or four planters.....had the men load it into my truck and went home. My husband took one look and said "and exactly HOW are we going to unload these? They must weigh 500 lbs each!" So with an afternoon of trying to figure it out (with my poor husband and three worthless females - myself and two teenage girls), we struggled and managed to unload them without landing someone in the hospital with a crushed foot or strained spine. Or divorce court.

Where they sit now is where they remain for the rest of all eternity! The house may blow down but my lion planters will remain! Here is a picture of one of them, planted with Thunbergia:

(p.s. I like them so much I'm going back soon for a couple more!)

Lynn

• 14 years ago

The size of mine are 22" x 22"......which might be big enough for a clematis (I don't have any of those) but probably not for a rose of that size.

• 14 years ago

Wow! That's funny Lynn, I hadn't even thought about how
    I would unload. Those lion planters are great, they look well made with quality concrete. That's what I'm after.

Pam my last post was rejected so I'll repeat it, I have sent an email to Davids, thanks! I will check out the place on 377 too (next to Accent Rock) but from the road, the quality of their stuff looks pretty cheap...

• 14 years ago

I, personally, would put the Lady Banks in the ground as the problem with it's getting out of hand doesn't come from underneath but on top where you will need to be vigilant about trimming no matter what it is planted in. I say, plant it in the ground and just keep it trimmed to the size you want. Just my two cents worth.

• 14 years ago

Frazier's is truly an AMAZING place, in more ways than one!!! Amazing in the sheer number beautiful designs in concrete in their acres of displays and amazing in their dedication to customer satisfaction.

Several years ago my friend Barbara and I went there and purchased quite a few items. As they were loading my minivan the tires began to look overloaded. I didn't think they could handle the last thing to be loaded -- a huge angel bird bath my friend bought. Barbara said she'd come back for it in her husbands pick-up truck.

Well, it was TWO years before we were able to get back with the truck. In the meantime she had lost her receipt, but lo and behold -- they still had her bird bath!

It was sitting in the the hold section with a big sign on it that simply said "Woman from San Antonio." :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Frazier's Ornamental Concrete

• 14 years ago

Fraziers was my suggeestion as well. You could make a great long weekend of it as well with Martha's Bloomers and the Antique Rose Emporium in Independence.

My thought, though, is on the clematis in a pot. Don't they require cool "feet" to be happy in Texas. Any Granbury Gardenwebbers with more geographically appropriate advice?

• 14 years ago

Yes, they do, Bobbi.......I have ground cover or small plants around the feet of mine. Once when I planted ice plant around their feet, it caused far too many laughs.

• 14 years ago

Ice plants! That's cute... I do plan to put root shade plants in the planters with the clematis. My lady banks is in the ground now but after seeing the size of the plant in arizona I thought I could maybe restrict the overall growth by putting it in a pot...guess I have more research to do on that. THAT SOUNDS LIKE AN AWESOME (yet potentially very expensive)ROADTRIP!!!! I am alreay making plans, thanks! I love antique roses and Fraziers looks fabulous and with such great recommendations I am so there!!! Now, I just need to find a friend with a big truck and trailor and some burly dudes to ubload for me when I get home!
    Thanks all!