Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiep508

Shipment smell?

katiep508
13 years ago

Hello all. I am very new to vermicomposting- in fact my first worms just arrived via UPS hours ago. I've been searching the web all night long trying to figure out if the stench with my worms are normal, but everything I've been finding seems to say "no". They were outside for about 1/2 an hour in 85 degree weather before I got them. I followed the instructions for watering and setting up a box for them, but frankly I am very worried they aren't even alive. I don't even really see anything that looks like a worm, but the instructions say they lose a lot of water during shipping and can look "shriveled"

I'm hoping for a miracle overnight, but thought maybe I could get some opinions here? Not sure if any of you even get worms via mail, but if you do, does it all stink?

Thanks so much and I look forward to learning from you all!

Katiep

Comments (11)

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

Your worms died in shipment, probably as they sat outside at your home.

The package and contents should have no discernible smell. Upon opening it, you should have seen what was obviously a thick ball of worms inside whatever bedding they were packed in.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is what my worms looked like when I unpacked them:

• antoniab
    13 years ago

I don't think 1/2 hour would do it. I am guessing they were hot and dry the whole way. I would contact the company you bought from (I am guessing Uncle Jim's, with the comment about watering them) and tell them what you received, and get a refund.
    Here is a page with some worm suppliers in the Boston/Cambridge area, but if that is not where you are, you can google for local suppliers.

I am so sorry to hear about your worms! Hopefully you can get started soon!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Worms

• katiep508
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What a total bummer!! It is quite a heatwave we're having so that must not be a good time for shipping worms. Thanks for all the great info and links. I'll call Uncle Jim's today- I hope they give me a refund and I can get some locally. The Cape Cod worm farm isn't terribly far.

• littychic
    13 years ago

I strongly recommend working with a worm merchant who requires you to either be home at the time of delivery, or if you can't be home, requires that the box be held at the post office for pick-up. This kind of policy indicates that the seller takes the health and well being of the worms seriously. Personally, I was very satisfied with my purchase from redwormcomposting.com -- Bentley (the guy who runs it) is super helpful and diligent in his business practices.

• mwudan
    13 years ago

dissatisfaction with uncle jim's? huge surprise.

• katiep508
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone, I am being sent another shipment next week and while that's not my choice now that I realize I should have been looking more locally, I just have to go with it since all they guarantee is live worms, right? Or could I demand a refund? I'd much rather drive to the cape than make poor worms take such an awful journey again.
    I'm really bummed because I had planned to leave a cooler outside if I was not to be home, but when I checked UPS tracking on tuesday it said all they had was shipping info, but no goods yet, but thursday night it showed up. I fell terrible!

• bluelake
    13 years ago

Yikes! I thought it was just my shipment YESTERDAY from Uncle Jim's that was subpar. Probably 3/4 of the worms were ok, but the rest were terribly snarled in the webbing, and each other in the webbing, in the fabric bag. Sadly those didn't make it. I sent an email to the company this morning but I have not heard anything back. I too notice an odor in that new little bin. My big established bin ... no smell at all. I'm thinking they were packed in the bag several days prior to shipping. My mailman made a special mail delivery with the box early in the morning just to deliver the "live goods." I immediately put it in a small office refidgerator. He made the regular mail delivery a few hours later. (Small town.)

• bluelake
    13 years ago

Update: I did just check my new worms again and the bin doesn't have much of an odor anymore and the worms that did make it are quite healthy and active.

• antoniab
    13 years ago

Bluelake, I do hate that webbing that some people ship in! The number of dead worms caught in it is pitiful! Especially if you follow the shipper (Uncle Jim's) advice and put water on the worms before extricating all you can. They puff up to full size while still caught and quickly die.

• bluelake
    13 years ago

Well, I didn't follow those instructions, thankfully. I emptyed the fabric bag and then watered the worms. The bin does still have an odor which I'm 99.9% sure is from dead worms. The worms are eating, but I won't order from them again. There no sense in shipping worms in something that kills them, no matter how cute it is.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022