Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
damjel

Inactive worms

damjel
10 years ago

Hello

I bought a lot of red worms (dendrobena). But after 1 week almost all die in my bin. Probably I over feed them. On the begining I seperate few of them from the bin, and put them in 3 boxes(bins). They wasnt over feeded, they live, but they look like they dont have any energy to move. I feed them potato pulp and cardboard. In the bin they have peat 6-7ph. Problem can be too much water? But they dont run away, they just looks like dont have any energy to move.

This worms in bin where almost all die, also looks like dont have power, but they was poisoned.

Please help. I lost so many worms in short time :((

Comments (7)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

A first guess would be the worms do not like vodka. What is potato pulp? Is it cooked mashed potatoes? Is it potato peals cooked? Is this kitchen scraps or pounds of it from a commercial venture? In the bin did it turn into alcohol?

I am interested to see what other posters think.

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

Horse poop. If it won't bring them, nothing will and chunk them.

This post was edited by chuckiebtoo on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 16:51

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

If it helps at all many of us, or at least some of us, or at least I lost my first worms. If worms are expensive in your area maybe catch some wild local worms from compost heaps of kitchen scraps or one a gardener may have. Horse manure heaps also have compost worms. Perhaps you could start with a bit of that material for bedding and slowly add the potato pulp while monitoring the situation. I am glad to see you added cardboard. Are there any other bedding materials free in your area? Do you have access to those cardboard egg cartons or cardboard coffee trays? I'm sorry your worms are not active.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

7th time is the charm. Now I get it. May I translate?

chuckiebtoo says, "Horse poop. If it won't bring them, nothing will and chunk them."

To my mind chuckiebtoo is saying use horse manure to feed and or as bedding for your present or next group of worms. If that does not make them happy then nothing will. Get rid of that group of worms and get another group that appreciates the finer things in life, or in a worm's life anyway, such as horse manure.

I think a worm, or some species of worms are designed exactly for breaking down horse manure paddies sprinkled over the ground. Thus the worms interest in packing its bags once in a while and searching out... fresher, browner paddies?

• damjel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Potato pulp is the rest of the potato after taking from it potato starch. I take it from company producing potato starch. They eat it so fast, that I gues thay love it. But they are so slow, no vitalty.

Horse poop will be hard to get, I will try. Maybe something else?

Cardboard which i use:
    http://www.fryzomania.pl/uploads/images/karton.jpg
    Worms which I have:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/p206x206/3427_433490090072140_1524416022_n.jpg

Sorry for my english, thanks for helpng.

• petrock1963
    10 years ago

I was going to say too much of a starchy feed could cause trouble but it sounds like it has been removed. At any rate assuming you still have worms alive as a suggestion stop feeding them the potatoe pulp for the time being. Like chuckie says aged horse poop is good but if you dont have access to any. If you like water melon or cantalope my worms really seem to like it and generally start feeding on it right away. Of course revisit the basics water content ,temperature of your bedding, ventilation ect. Good luck.

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

OK....if that were my bin, I would put some shredded newspaper in it, make sure it were DAMP (not soggy), put the lid on it and leave it untouched for a couple of weeks

Chances are the remaining worms will settle in and thrive.

Lots of times, people who get new worms smother them with TLC (totally laughable consideration). They are worms. They will eat anything organic if it's soft enough for them to toothlessly gum. They are incredibly forgiving of less-than-ideal living conditions.

They are pretty much less than enthusiastic about being man-handled and bothered and exposed to light or rap music.

Give them a little space and time. Then give them some horse poop if you can locate some. They'll love you then.

Chuckiebtoo

Moderation, Diversity, Patience,

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!