Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosiercherokee

Some Interesting Leaf Shape Variations

HoosierCheroKee
16 years ago

Thought I'd post pictures of some leaf shape variations I'm running into this year so far. Hope y'all find them interesting.

The first two are Novikov's Giant, also called Gigant-10 Novikov. Andrey, from Minsk, Belarus, sent me three seeds for this Russian tomato a couple of years ago. All of the Novikov Giant pictures I've seen online show leaf forms that appear to be what some folks call intermediate or irregular potato leaf shapes with some smooth serrations.

I planted the three seeds around March 1, 2007, and only two germinated. One plant is an intermediate leaf form like this.

And the other plant shows a very smooth edged potato leaf shapes like this.

Another potato leaf variant I found interesting is Cherokee Purple PL grown from seeds received from Tom in New Jersey. I think Tom got them from Bill (Spudleaf Willie) in New Mexico. Here is a leaf shape on that plant.

Randy, another tomatohead who posts as Big Chief or RIK, sent me seeds for a tomato that sprang from a cross between Brandywine Sudduth and an unknown regular leaf plant in his garden. Last year all his F1 seedlings were regular leaf. The seeds he sent are the F2 generation, and I got about 25% potato leaf in the starter tray. I kept one particularly strong seedling and it makes leaves like this.

The first flower cluster the plant I call "Big Chief" put on has over a dozen blossoms, but one flower already has made a tomato larger than a quarter, so I don't think it's a cherry. No telling what Rick let his Sudduth cross with! Here's that big spray of blossoms a week ago.

Last year I grew some Brandy Boy F3 plants from seeds sent by another tomato grower, John in Massachusetts. He also posts here occasionally. Last year's best plant had leaves that looked like this.

The tomatoes looked like this.

This year, I kept two starts grown from seeds from that particular 2006 plant, and they look slightly different. The first plant has slightly puckered, ever so irregular shaped leaves like this.

The other plant I kept has smoother leaves that look like this.

I keep hearing that Carbon is a good black tomato, so I thought I'd try it out. All but one of the seedlings I grew were regular leaf. One seedling came up with great long cotyledons that looked like 2 inch willow leaves ... long and very slender. Then came the true leaves ... potato leaf rather than regular leaf. Now the plant looks like this. (Those new leaves in the middle of the plant are not serrated, they are "ruffled" and actually flatten out into smooth edges as they grow.)

Oh yeah ... Potato Top. This variety has foiled me for two years straight. I got the seeds from Doug Oster, garden editor of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He distributes seeds for this great pink, potato leaf tomato originated by Fred Limbaugh. He says to cull out the off type "regular leaf" appearances. But that's all I get! So last year I sent half my original Oster seeds to Tom in New Jersey, and Tom got one fabulous potato leaf plant and sent me back some seed. Guess what? I got regular leaf again!!!

Spudleaf Willie called me this morning and told me this is much closer to the potato leaf shape, so I'm keeping this one to see if the fruit is good. Tom kept one like this last summer and said it just didn't stand up to the true Potato Top in his taste comparisons.

Well, that's about it for the off types or weird stuff ... except for this one Rutgers plant. I bought a six pack of Rutgers from a buddy's nursery. He likes the determinate type Rutgers. One of the seedlings in the tray was a runt. I put it in a pot. Now it looks almost like a rugose dwarf type to me. What do you think?

Bill

Comments (9)

• anney
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

HC

About the Potato Tops. I got some a couple of years ago from Oster too late to start for that year and started them this spring. Four germinated, and two were RL, two PL. The RLs are smaller plants, though started at the same time. Both leaf-types have much larger blossoms (and uniformly so) than any of the other varieties I'm growing. They aren't double blossoms, so I suspect the tomatoes will be very large and not scrungled up like some brandywines and other heirlooms. I just hope they'll grow well in this area so far south of Pennsylvania.

The plants with PLs have extremely large leaves. I imagine that with no controls for Oster's Potato Top, there are going to be some seeds returned to him for distribution that are certainly mixed in leaf-type. I'm not going to save any of the seeds this year since they aren't planted far enough away from other RLs to preclude cross-pollinization, but I will do that next year if I plant them again. I'll have more space then.

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anney,

Yes, the flowers on this plant are large, single blossoms and the one fruit that set so far is smooth looking.

I suspect you're right about the rest of what you say. Tom really liked his potato leaf version of Potato Top last summer. He'll probably poke a picture in here if he reads this thread. If he does, tease him about how it looks as if he waxed the tomato for the photo shoot :::grin:::

Anney, if you get time, post up some pictures of your Potato Top plants.

Bill

• anney
    16 years ago

Bill

Here are a few of the PL pics I snapped. You can't tell the comparative size of either since I didn't put my hand in the pic, but the leaf shape is visible. Morning dew is still on them.

All three are Oster's Potato Top, PL.

{{gwi:1342557}}

{{gwi:1342558}}

{{gwi:1342560}}

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anney,

Very nice! I'm jealous :::darn:::

Maybe next year for me.

Bill

• anney
    16 years ago

See what kind of maters you get this year from what came up. I'm curious about how the Potato Top RLs will compare in taste and production to the PLs. If you'd like, I can send you some of the seed batch I got. I have a lot of them left. You can always start them all next year and cull out the RLs. Or you can do that with what you've already received. SURELY there are some PLs somewhere among them!

• korney19
    16 years ago

bump--missed this thread...

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the bump, Mark ... reminded me to update with some of the fruit off those vines.

Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf

Novikov's Giant Potato Leaf

Novikov's Giant Normal Leaf

• tomstrees
    16 years ago

The PL version should be called "Pink Potato Top", not "Osters Potato Top" -
    We shouldn't take any credit away from Fred Limbaugh ~

Personall, I think it should be called
    "Limbaughs Potato Top" ...

~ Tom

Here is a link that might be useful:

• HoosierCheroKee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tomato commonly is known as Potato Top. The correct color is pink and the correct leaf form is potato leaf. So frequently you see it listed as Pink Potato Top, etc. I agree with TomTrees ... it should be called Limbaugh's Potato Top, but apparently Mr. Limbaugh is aware and acquieces to the commonly used name.

Doug Oster always has given 100% credit to Fred Limbaugh for the development of Potato Top.

Mr. Oster distributes the seeds free, and only asks the grower to cull out the regular leaf occurances and return the seed from the first fruit of the correct potato leaf form vines to replenish his supply for future free seed offers.

Luckily for TomTrees (the dog), he has gotten wonderful potato leaf plants with delicious pink tomatoes!!! I keep getting big bull regular leaf plants with gnarly red tomatoes, dangit!

Apparently there are some stray seeds, crossed seeds, or mutt genes wandering around in this particular cultivar. After two years of experience with it, I strongly suggest culling out anything that isn't a true potato leaf vine with nice big smooth pink tomatoes.

Bill